Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Productivity in quarantine?

How has quarantine, or the pandemic in general, affected everybody's artwork productivity?

For me personally, it feels like everything has come to a screeching halt. I've drawn some here and there, but it feels like improvement had halted completely and my motivation to get art done is pretty much nonexistent most of the time. Its especially frustrating because I've felt like I've finally started really improving the past couple years, and when I finally gained some confidence, I hit a wall. Overall, I'm in a better place with drawing, mentally. I don't want to give up being an artist every time I try to draw anymore, I don't end up having an emotional breakdown every time I try to draw anymore. Those two things are huge for me. But it feels like I've watched my friends improve majorly this year, and I've accomplished pretty much nothing. I know its not rly fair to compare yourself to other artists, and that during a time of so much stress we should be more forgiving to ourselves for not having motivation or not being as productive, but its easier to say that about other people than apply it to myself. The only motivation I seem to have to draw anymore is to just make more and more new characters that I know I'll never draw again. I'm really struggling with art, and in my quarantine bubble, it looks like most other people are managing artwork just fine despite everything.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Honestly the pandemic hasn't affected my productively but for not particularly great reasons: As a trauma survivor and a disabled person I'm sorta... used to the world being on fire at all times so I'

Honestly? Yeah, productivity has completely slipped away from me since lockdown happened. I don't have much of a drive anymore. It just feels like nothing.

I've re-improved on my guitar playing during the extra time I have during quarantine when I'm not at work. I lost a lot of playing ability in 2007 and still have a good deal of neurological damage rem

I had a game project I was working on for a while but went dormant before things started locking down in March. Surprisingly, the start of the lockdowns actually inspired me to work on my game a lot more for a bit but then I got a bit burned out by the end of April, around the same time my classes ended. My sleep schedule ended up getting super screwed following the end of classes and now I'm just not feeling it. Cancelled my Fall classes because I do not enjoy online classes at all.

Really unsure what to do now. No college and no job, and overall no extraneous labor to keep me in a routine to work on my game or inspire me.

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, Tera said:

I had a game project I was working on for a while but went dormant before things started locking down in March. Surprisingly, the start of the lockdowns actually inspired me to work on my game a lot more for a bit but then I got a bit burned out by the end of April, around the same time my classes ended. My sleep schedule ended up getting super screwed following the end of classes and now I'm just not feeling it. Cancelled my Fall classes because I do not enjoy online classes at all.

Really unsure what to do now. No college and no job, and overall no extraneous labor to keep me in a routine to work on my game or inspire me.

I'm so sorry to hear that things haven't been going well for you lately. I hope it starts to turn around soon, and that you're inspired to work on your game too! :c

well... to keep it short;

• wanted to do stuff like an animatic, novel, and a visual novel one time... didn't really work out much cause i lost motivational on ALL of those projects in the span of months blahhhnjnjtnh
  • ----
  • took until like... july to think of something... been binging webcomics and reallyyy got into them, so i thought of making my own webcomic! and well, I decided to make it something where birds (and only birds) are present! 
  • ----
  • took about two-three months for me to actually begin on my webcomic cause it took a lot of thinking and """planning"""" than i thought it would be ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • ----
  • in general i've been very productive during quarantine but i've had a million failed projects and it took until i literally had to go to COLLEGE in order to finally work on a project for the first time in my life that i leginimately am ACTUALLY working on
  • ----
  • i am both happy but depressed in myself in the end lol... am currently planning to redo it after i finish my suffering schoolwork grgrg
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, sijiji said:

well... to keep it short;

• wanted to do stuff like an animatic, novel, and a visual novel one time... didn't really work out much cause i lost motivational on ALL of those projects in the span of months blahhhnjnjtnh
  • ----
  • took until like... july to think of something... been binging webcomics and reallyyy got into them, so i thought of making my own webcomic! and well, I decided to make it something where birds (and only birds) are present! 
  • ----
  • took about two-three months for me to actually begin on my webcomic cause it took a lot of thinking and """planning"""" than i thought it would be ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • ----
  • in general i've been very productive during quarantine but i've had a million failed projects and it took until i literally had to go to COLLEGE in order to finally work on a project for the first time in my life that i leginimately am ACTUALLY working on
  • ----
  • i am both happy but depressed in myself in the end lol... am currently planning to redo it after i finish my suffering schoolwork grgrg

It sounds like there has been up and down for you, but I'm glad that you found a project that you are excited to work on! I hope it works out for you more consistently from this point forward!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, feelingchimpy said:

It sounds like there has been up and down for you, but I'm glad that you found a project that you are excited to work on! I hope it works out for you more consistently from this point forward!

thank you man!! hopefully it will aaa-- once i finally get my schoolwork done i'm gonna binge work on it! HOPEFULLY AGAIN- xD

• Love 1

I've been pretty unproductive throughout quarantine until very recently when I joined FLO

Since FLO has activity I have been doing drawing games and requests and it's been re-igniting my love for drawing again, which I appreciate. But it's definitely not at the level it used to be (probably because I damaged my hands/wrist/arm before) but I'm drawing again and I appreciate that. To note, I was also experiencing art block for about 2 years before quarantine hit so I haven't been drawing much in general until very recently.

Overall I think my productivity was low/none until I joined FLO like a month or so ago and now I draw every couple days, which is more than I used to! 

• Love 2

ive been having the hardest time with both art and schoolwork. i tried to take some art requests but couldnt motivate myself anymore after doing 2. even though i have way more time, i cant make myself DO anything!! i cant wait till all of this is over lol

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, TaliFox said:

I've been pretty unproductive throughout quarantine until very recently when I joined FLO

Since FLO has activity I have been doing drawing games and requests and it's been re-igniting my love for drawing again, which I appreciate. But it's definitely not at the level it used to be (probably because I damaged my hands/wrist/arm before) but I'm drawing again and I appreciate that. To note, I was also experiencing art block for about 2 years before quarantine hit so I haven't been drawing much in general until very recently.

Overall I think my productivity was low/none until I joined FLO like a month or so ago and now I draw every couple days, which is more than I used to! 

Its so great to hear that FLO has helped you find your spark again!! That's so awesome! 🥺

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Spyro said:

ive been having the hardest time with both art and schoolwork. i tried to take some art requests but couldnt motivate myself anymore after doing 2. even though i have way more time, i cant make myself DO anything!! i cant wait till all of this is over lol

I'm so sorry to hear that :c I hope you're inspired and motivated again very soon!

For most of the quarantine my output as been about average with the usual spikes here and there as inspiration strikes.

But more recently I've started a couple new story-lines and I've been spending hours developing the setting and characters.

I've also redirected some of this creative energy into continuing some of my many WIPs, with some success. ...have I said 'some' too many times yet? XD

2 hours ago, feelingchimpy said:

I'm so sorry to hear that :c I hope you're inspired and motivated again very soon!

thank you and you too!! i think having more outside/social stuff to look forward to is definitely helpful

on the bright side, when i DO manage to draw i usually finish up old wips, so my progress doesn't appear to be as slow as it is haha

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Fixerwolfy said:

For most of the quarantine my output as been about average with the usual spikes here and there as inspiration strikes.

But more recently I've started a couple new story-lines and I've been spending hours developing the setting and characters.

I've also redirected some of this creative energy into continuing some of my many WIPs, with some success. ...have I said 'some' too many times yet? XD

Its fantastic that you've been able to stay so creative and productive!! 

• Thanks 1

I've re-improved on my guitar playing during the extra time I have during quarantine when I'm not at work. I lost a lot of playing ability in 2007 and still have a good deal of neurological damage remaining from the incident, but I figured that letting my love for playing guitar languish is a silly thing to do, so I'm back at it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BejeweledFox said:

I've re-improved on my guitar playing during the extra time I have during quarantine when I'm not at work. I lost a lot of playing ability in 2007 and still have a good deal of neurological damage remaining from the incident, but I figured that letting my love for playing guitar languish is a silly thing to do, so I'm back at it.

That's so wonderful!! 🥺 I'm so happy that you're able to persevere and play again!

38 minutes ago, feelingchimpy said:

That's so wonderful!! 🥺 I'm so happy that you're able to persevere and play again!

Oh, I've been playing since after my little problem, but I've had a bit more time than usual to get into it! Usually I might get 5-10 minutes of playtime. More recently I've had upwards of an hour or more. Before the incident, I could clock in 4-8 hours daily, even after work.

Edited by BejeweledFox
Keep forgetting those details!
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, BejeweledFox said:

Oh, I've been playing since after my little problem, but I've had a bit more time than usual to get into it! Usually I might get 5-10 minutes of playtime. More recently I've had upwards of an hour or more. Before the incident, I could clock in 4-8 hours daily, even after work.

Still, it sounds like you've made alot of progress, which is fantastic!

• Thanks 1

I became soooooooooo very productive this year. I discovered so many things and this year I became a Linux user (still using windows, obviously), I discovered a programmation code that creates a pdf document (it has a questionable name but I will not mention it) and I'm learning from that,alone,with a little help of tutorials and else. This quarantine is being helpful to me for some reasons.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DaedTonSiiawak said:

I became soooooooooo very productive this year. I discovered so many things and this year I became a Linux user (still using windows, obviously), I discovered a programmation code that creates a pdf document (it has a questionable name but I will not mention it) and I'm learning from that,alone,with a little help of tutorials and else. This quarantine is being helpful to me for some reasons.

Its fantastic that you've stayed so productive!!

Honestly the pandemic hasn't affected my productively but for not particularly great reasons: As a trauma survivor and a disabled person I'm sorta... used to the world being on fire at all times so I'm not anymore stressed out than I usually am. I have powered through so much this has not stopped me from shitting out more silly cartoon animal nonsense!

Edited by FamiliarAlien
fixing typo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, FamiliarAlien said:

Honestly the pandemic hasn't affected my productively but for not particularly great reasons: As a trauma survivor and a disabled person I'm sorta... used to the world being on fire at all times so I'm not anymore stressed out than I usually am. I have powered through so much this has not stopped me from shitting out more silly cartoon animal nonsense!

Its good to hear that you're coping well, even if its because of unfortunate experiences. That certainly hasn't been the case with me. I'm disabled and also have trauma and several disorders, but its added more stress on top of the stresses I already had from those things, which has impacted me very negatively. Its fantastic that its not had the same effect on you!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ByThePowerOfDUSKULL said:

Honestly? Yeah, productivity has completely slipped away from me since lockdown happened. I don't have much of a drive anymore. It just feels like nothing.

I'm so sorry that you've been struggling. I hope you're able to find inspiration and motivation soon :c