Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Felix

Design Pet Peeves?

I wanna know design pet peeves of your guys'!

What is something thats on some designs that you absolutely dislike drawing and it's an "I kinda gotta do it though"

For me, personally it's light colors that are very similar to each other, like a white and a very very light cream or a white and a very very very light grey.

• Like 1

Overly detailed characters.

Also characters whose colors are disgusting together. Like a neon rainbow character with no design, just red head to purple feet. Gross.

Or mustard yellow and forest green. Just.... icky colors together.

• Like 5

Characters who are a super obscure species just for the sake of being different. Being unique is all in the character as oppose to their visual design, imo.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a fan of drawing stripes all that much. Mostly just because I usually get them wrong the first time and have to redraw them.

But I did make a character specifically with stripes to get me passed that and get better with them. So here's to hoping it helps. ^^

transparent things

(im a total hypocrite here)

but like if im commissioned and there's a transparent part that doesnt have the opacity and color pallet listed im gonna be.. tiny bit mad

Posted (edited)

gradients, enough said.
and what op said holy shit i nearly forgot that
irritates the shit out of me

Edited by BigBlueGhost

The light colors on light colors are mildly frustrating, especially when I'm trying to draw things for peeps since I have a hard time distinguishing the colors really well : (

I also don't really care for rosettes much- I just don't like drawing them lol

• Like 1

Sorta been said already but. Overly detailed characters. Mainly see it in emo dogs but- I hate people having these aesthetically pleasing but hella complicated patterns and gradients on their OC. Like. No one can replicate it just right so what's the point? No art will ever be just like that design and more amateur artists will have a real rough time when you commission them. I just don't understand it;;;

• Like 2

Intricate/detailed tattoos or patterns, but a ref that doesn't showcase them right (too small, character is at an odd angle, angles don't align right with the front and back, 'painted' so the details are blurry, etc), so you have to do a bunch of guesswork. It's not necessarily detailed characters, but it's when they're detailed but the ref doesn't help make it easier to draw them

If you have a character with intricate tattoos or patterns, and you need them to be specific, I'd suggest having a flattened reference of the design on the side

• Like 1

color palettes that dont follow a pattern or trend

neon rainbow eyebleed? yeah sure
green yellow and blue? go ahead
yellow, green, and red? unacceptable, absolutely not.

also when designs are complex or at the very least cant be drawn consistently. i hate seeing cute designs that i love but just wont use because they'd be impossible to animate. simple =/= unoriginal. wormy is probably my most simple design but as far as i'm aware hes one of a kind. if you want something original then do something that cant be done on a base. make your characters animals that nobody would think to use. just be weird.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, God said:

Characters who are a super obscure species just for the sake of being different. Being unique is all in the character as oppose to their visual design, imo.

this feels like a fault on your end if you cant be flexible with your art. 

I don't have a whole lot of things that annoy my in designs, I can jive with pretty much anything. But there are 2 things that always get my goat.

- Over-use of rainbows

- And (this is more of a complaint of style) when people don't know how to draw scars.

Rainbows can be a fine addition to a design. But I'm just someone under the belief that they should be 'accents' rather than a main staple.  It's very rare that design that's over 40% rainbows can be very rough.

As for when people don't know how to draw scars, I'm gonna say this may be more of a stylistic thing. But scars don't go 'on-top' of fur, I have seen so many people give their characters scars or burn-marks and then...draw fluff in the area the scar is, even though you know they didn't 'intend' for it to be there. If the fur is supposed to cover up the scar, then just don't draw the scar super visible and show that the fur covers it. As I stated, this may be more of a style-thing, but it just irritates me.

• Like 1

Tattoos on anything with fur really bug me. Not so much drawing them, but just. them existing. It doesn't make sense. Explain to me why your character's fur happens to grow in the specific colors and patterns to create this tattoo, please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SSUNDIALL said:

this feels like a fault on your end if you cant be flexible with your art. 

Design pet-peeves aren't limited to artists. It's more of a traditional peeve than it is a problem with drawing them. 

@Kaarma @filthygod @SSUNDIALL I getcha, a lot of emo dog designs do tend to have really intricate designs and I honestly refuse to draw them KDHSKJDS

@God I absolutely get where you're comin from tbh. I get if someone sees a cute animal and is like :0 i gotta make an oc outta that or if theyre trying to get more species into a world
but there's also gotta be something that provides connectivity, thats part of the reason I have nothing but cats and dogs, is because I can't seem to get the right connectivity with anything other than that.

SSUNDIAL and Kaarma I also get the bad color combos thingy. Irks me when greens and purples are paired together on something that isnt purple covered in moss or something that indicates gross things LOL

@WickedCityy @Pirooky lol tattoos irk me too. Tattoos are their own art pieces, so when put on something other than a flat canvas then it's a good idea to have a flat canvas version or as Pir said, a side view as well. With tattoos on fur I just convince myself that the animal is either furless or bleached and dyed that specific spot of their fur for some reason. Kinda?? gets the irkiness off, but they doesnt mean they dont still bother me LOL

@PigInAnInkwell I absolutely get you on that! I do like some rainbow accents  and more than 40% rainbows tend to really only work on sparkle dogs. I have 1 rainbow sparkle dog OC and she's meant to be complete eye bleed so the rainbows work

@Altoviireo OOF rosettes are the death of me, theyre hard to get accurately unless youre an artist who pays insane attention to detail and can draw a piece in a span of 2 hours

@BigBlueGhost gradients actually dont irk me that bad, I tend to just make a base color layer, grab the airbrush tool, make a layer over it and turn clipping on, but if you use something like MS pain(t) I can understand where gradients would irk

@FluffyFoxOfFate having a striped character should absolutely help with that! I used to redo stripes 30 times before they were right

@bullterror1 OOF i get what you're saying, like sun glasses with transparency and you get commissioned to draw those glasses but there's no color indication?

• Like 4

@Felix the struggle comes in is bc i straight up do paintings for my shading, which means a long time of well, messing around in one spot when thats a terrible idea. besides that they're just not that fun for me to work with

Overly saturated colors being a prominent part of a palette. They hurt my eyes when I'm working with a character that's say, bright neon red for example. However I also find it rude to change a character's colors on a whim for a commission, so I tend to play the game of "how can I use shading and my color knowledge to offset the saturation of these colors...?" 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I gotta say (though I've been guilty of owning characters like this, I rarely get art of them and I just like to look at them/write with them) overly gaudy characters.  Not only intricate but like... especially certain closed species that just have SO much going on with the whole thing you don't really know where one thing ends and another begins?  And it's just the standard left-facing, feral side-view ref so it's even harder when they have 80+ traits on one poor creature.

The only other thing that has, for some reason, just bothered me so badly is people making big cat OC's with canine nsfw anatomy... especially if they're feral big cats.  Like I am all for people doing whatever the hell they want with their OC's but.. gah it irked me beyond belief and idk why.

Edited by v0renine

Aside from the most obvious stuff like "colors that clash or look bad" and ect ect ect

Characters that arent designed with 'replayability' in mind, so to speak. If you can draw a super cool picture of a really intricate design once that's great, but if a design is complicated and bloated to the point where it's hard to replicate and even harder to navigate the character? IE being designed in a way that hinders their mobility in poses or colors and patterns so overly specific that they become time consuming past the point of being reasonable? Then it's just not a great design because it's hard to put to practical use. 

When designing my characters I try and ask myself, if nothing else, "Would I be willing to redraw this regularly? Or have I made a design that's actually unfun for me to try and work with?". Even stuff meant to be intricate has to have a level of rhyme and reason to it, some sort of clear intent with shapes and colors and markings that make it easy for you to go "oh, this is what this character looks like, I have a general idea of how this is supposed to all fit together". Intentful design.

making deer look like dogs really bugs me orz

i'm pretty easily amazed so i tend to love both overly complex characters, bright colors, soft colors, etc. . . like it's hard to make me not like a character.

but oh my god when i see deer drawn like dogs i just die internally

also green/red makes me think of christmas and i can't take the design seriously qw q

When it's some closed/limited species that the creator acts like is the next DAD or sergal but in reality it's just a cat with an antennae on it's head or a hamster with fairy wings or something. Also how same-y a lot of furry art is. Oftentimes I have to go through pages and pages on FA to find something that catches my eye and stands out because everything else looks prettymuch the same style/effort/theme. Though I don't know if that's people lacking imagination or people appealing to the most common/accepted style. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:53 PM, BigBlueGhost said:

@Felix the struggle comes in is bc i straight up do paintings for my shading, which means a long time of well, messing around in one spot when thats a terrible idea. besides that they're just not that fun for me to work with

@PlushPaws already said why i dislike gradients in a reply, all the gradients i usually get in commissions are extreme, and even the simplest of gradients is a bitch to paint with

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PlushPaws said:

Well, I only really use Photoshop, so I guess it can be harder in other programs. 

In photoshop you just put another layer on top of the basic color and use the gradient tool with the other choosen color. It is literaly as easy as few click of a mouse. 

But maybe you still mean something else? I really feel like I must be mising some point in here. Maybe, we do not mean the same gradients?

What I mean is basically gradients like this:

913393792_colorrange.png.2cd28a76ba306ee05da18adbaa7bdf5b.png

Of course in picture it would only cover the specific area. But even that can be super easy with the selection tool, or cover mask tool. 

But now I am curious, really. What program you use? Maybe I got pampered by Photoshop, but I really cannot imagine very well how gradients could be so hard?

English also is not my native language, if that possibly make some problems. And I think I am not the best in comunication too.

Could you please eleborate on this topic, if it is not too much of a bother to you? I am really way too curious now to let it go.

i'm actually having trouble seeing what you're showing me, but from what im able to see, yeah thats a gradient, basic stuff. basically, the whole painting term is flying over your head.

to understand what im trying to say, you need to first learn my workflow; i am not talking using masks and shit, thats beginner stuff and i wouldnt be complaining about gradients if it was the problem.
i do digital paintings, for myself, for commissioners, or for the games i work on.
heres an example of a finished, fully painted full color;
 1410787252_Ontheprowl.thumb.PNG.b8153c7def592ce6f834a4609a865830.PNG
and this is what the shading/lighting layer looks;
IMG_1579.thumb.PNG.0127dd7b2612adef89b0f830c9183484.PNG
it is all rendered by hand, i dont touch overlay layers unless its the very start or after the rendering process is complete.
so basically, in the end, this way of shading takes hours, and it CAN in fact be taken longer all because i have to dick around with a gradient. case in point, heres a shading sample with gradients
IMG_1580.thumb.PNG.8fae4da559328e9a65492cead50c0b46.PNG
the first one on the right is dull, unshaded, the second is painted, took about a second but you can start to see where problems arise; it looks a bit muddied, not really that smooth, and it irritates the shit out of me. cue an hour of me dicking around with the single spot cause i want it to look good. it doesnt matter the software, photoshop, sai, csp, all three of which i touched and used, a basic illustrated painting can take hours over a little gradient for me. it might be me exaggerating the dilemma, i just hate painting them and theres nothing more to that.
tl;dr, i use procreate, which has masking layers and shit, its just my workflow that makes me hate them. been painting for 7 years, the opinion stuck.

Edited by BigBlueGhost
  • Like 1

gradients -  most of em just look bad and is confusing at times really, but I've seen some okay ones.

un-creatiave closed species - like put a cat and a broom.. BOOM now it's a species? wow (I don't know if thats real, i just made that up-). I understand some of them can be aesthetically pleasing, but when they price really high, thats the point i'll get annoyed.

colors that don't go well with eachother 

character with glasses that don't provide what the original color and setting (effects and opacity-)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PlushPaws said:

Ok, so I think I somewhat see what you mean on the example. From what I think may be the thing here is that you shade the way as traditional art would be done. Using handpicked colors and putting them on top of each other. At least seems like that.

Whatever it is, definitely not what I do. I learned to use something different than pure black in shading, but I still just use one color for that. And then just make it multiply and lover the opacity. This, even if I am wrong, surely is not the same. Right?

lmao i actually fucking despise traditional painting due to the whole no layers thing. i use tools like colourconstructor to help with the ambiance and light colors. in the end i never paint with one layer, multiple layers. cause imho painting with a single layer is ass and often fucks me over, hence why i dislike traditional painting. hell, the gradient sample was made with an overlay layer, just painted on top of it. when i first got colourconstructor i did handpick from what it gave me, as of lately im trying to replicate the color references it gives.

3 hours ago, PlushPaws said:

I even wanted to completely stop drawing just from pure frustration. Multiple times. I deleted and created and then deleted so many account across the internet as I always wanted to make it stop, but then always I get drawn back to it. And I always come back to try it. But it never seems any better. I feel ashamed, because as someone who came from art school, and someone who is 26 years old, and even was drawing for a majority of that life, I realy should be way better by now. And I do not have idea what makes me so stuck.

when i was 12, i was beyond envious of professionals, i wanted to be just like them, it especially doesnt help that rayman origins came out and just fueled that frustration. the silly but toony style, the beautiful paintings, and yet my art wasnt at the same level. it infuriated me, i would end up sobbing for hours. so, i ended up hours and years, a total of 7 years of me finally making the move and taking art seriously, and im at the same pickle, i dont like how i draw, sure im fine with it currently, but its been sparking up a lot of mental health issues i have. basically, things dont go the way we planned, and i always remind myself my younger self would be so blown away if they saw what i was doing now and days with my art, and that alone is enough to keep me moving forward. keep experimenting with how you draw and color, every piece you make is a new learning experience. i can see you grasp a basic idea of shading and ambiance/light, try experimenting wit textures in your pieces? something, anything! just go crazy and dick around with it. in the end, art is just experimentation, and self expression.

Edited by BigBlueGhost