Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NovaCaine

Fursonna Choice

I think we may have had this at one time before, but what the heck, we have lot of newer members, and I honestly need something to read on this site, so here we go.

How did you come about choosing your fursonna?
What about your fursonna name?
What do you like about others of your same species?
What do you dislike about others of your same species? (or close to if you are a mix)

• Like 3

How did you come about choosing your fursona?
Well Nova started off as a basic RP chartere and then slowly eventually became part of me and I felt I could relate to her side of life. She finishes my sentences more or less and has become my conscience and is the smart ass voice at the back of head who laughs at things when I know my self shouldn't etc...
I decided that Nova should be my Fursona, I really don't see me as anything else.
She started off as a wolf and evolved into a demon wolf, then wolf again, then dragon wolf, and now wolf dragon. xD

What about your fursona name?
Her name was a standard RP name (Nova). I eventually added Caine the end making it NovaCaine, was trying to go the Cane in canine, but it turned out to be the drug instead (opps) It has stuck since. I was in gr 7 when I picked it lol

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be to many Wolf Dragons out there that I know of, I guess I like the fact they are unique to them selves.

What do you dislike about others of your same species? (or close to if you are a mix)
The only thing I can think of that I dislike about my same spices area would be that Canines(specifically wolves) or the group there of, are very common. *shrugs* Not much for me to really dislike. lol

• Like 3

I've never actually connected to a character enough to feel that they are a representation of me (or, at least, not in the sense I think most furries probably feel about their fursonas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I've barely interacted with other furries before). I made Hayes last year at the beginning of July, I guess? They were random at the time, and I kind of assumed they'd eventually become a story character but they just. didn't? I started drawing them a lot without trying to develop any sort of story for them, just drawing stuff I found pleasing, and eventually they sort of assumed the role of Fursona-Adjacent. They don't represent me, per se, but they definitely represent my biggest aesthetic (neon/vaporwave), which is close enough, I guess.

I have absolutely no idea about this. On the very first picture I ever drew of them I listed my name ideas as being either Hayes or Infracture. I can't remember anything about my thought process at the time (honestly, my memory is so shot, I'd worry I was developing Alzheimer's except for the fact that I'm not even legally old enough to drink alcohol yet). Hayes is apparently what stuck around, though. Probably because it's easier (and quicker) to say, think and spell.

They're cats! Cats are amazing! I love cats!

I honestly haven't really got any feelings on this? I guess it annoys me when people are like "this is my cheetah fursona!" but they have tiger stripes (and aren't supposed to be a hybrid or anything), but I think that's just me being an ass about people's design choices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

Amaryllis (Ammy) Rootpaws, Wolf/Horse Hybrid:

Wolves are my favorite animal, I'm from Florida originally so the Red Wolf would be the most appropriately regionally. Eventually she evolved into a half horse / half wolf due to realizations about my own true self. Special snowflake? Sure, but I get some kickass hoofnuggets out of it so it works 🙂

Amaryllis came from a friend of mine putting my real name through one of those cheesy 'what's your name in Japanese' quizzes on Quizilla yeeaaarrrss ago and came out with some long absurd name (probably akin to Amaterasu) and I shortened it to Ammy and it stuck, then when I wanted to lengthen it for a real name I liked Amaryllis the most that it could be based from reasonably. Rootpaws was a pagan name I chose for myself when I went through that period of my life. 

Haven't met any others. Wolves and mares are a dime a dozen though. They come in a huge variety of shapes and colors, as well as personalities. 

Haven't met any others. Wolves and Mares are pretty common and sometimes people go through too great a length to make theirs unique, but on the other end of the spectrum others don't personalize theirs at all and you couldn't pick it out of a crowd. I guess I fall into the 'overly unique' category due to mixing two unrelated species, though I didn't do it to try and stand out more. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Magnolia Mudfins, Sarkal. 

It was by chance really. Someone in a furry facebook group was giving away designs of a species he'd made up that he was trying to get some traction for and I thought it looked sorta cute. I decided to snap one up and customized the body to stand out a bit, giving her gullet rolls and a fatty tail, with a little but of a gut to tie it all together. She's managed to become my favorite sona, giving me more freedom to be and say who I truly want rather than what my ideal is, which would be Ammy. 

I wanted her to be a southern swamp-dweller and for her last name to reference her species. While Sarkals dwell in many ecosystems, I wanted Mags to be swamp-specific so I went with Steel Magnolias and the concept of magic mud from American Horror Story: Coven. Plus fins, cuz sarkal.

Haven't really met any, the fb group is pretty dead. We're hoping to pick up traction but I don't know what to do at this point other than keep making/commissioning art and hoping others find kinship and choose to join us.

Haven't known any well enough to have anything to dislike about them. 

XXXXXXXXX

Don't know if pics are allowed but here they are anyway for reference.

Magnolia.jpg

43171548_595463644202801_979590127917465600_n.jpg

• Like 2

I was in an RP chat and was thinking of a new character to introduce.  I had been watching Sugar Glider videos online, and realized I'd never really seen any sugar glider fursonas, so I made one!  Which was a lot of fun to be her... and let to the beginning of an important awakening for me.

I picked her name both on her haircut (pixie style) and her bubbly, friendly personality.

I've never met anyone else with a sugar glider fursona, so I don't know.

as I said in the last one.  I've never talked to anyone else with one, but the few art I've seen it kind of bothers me they don't always show the patagium (the skin flaps used for gliding)  

• Like 2

i have so far 5 main sonas but imma go with glottis cause they're big cheese sona
tl;dr. turned 16, was playing a game i got for christmas, a character from said game, and a ton others, inspired me to make them. they're practically the same appearance wise since i made them, just with a few personal tweaks from me.
that game? grim fandango, people kept calling me glottis, and since i wad damn well aware it was an organ, it just stuck. their full name is epiglottis larynx to fit in with the whole organ theme. lore wise, they wanted a more mortal sounding name, but they're a bit naive, grabbed the wrong book.

monsters are badass, i like being big spooky stompy monsters, and i like seeing unique and creative creatures! never met someone whos a monster as well, but :
25pse4.jpg

i find canine-like creatures designs with reptilian tails and big clawed fingers to be a bit cliche but i still love you guys... ;w;

• Like 2

(I Technically have a few mains I heavily connect with but I always default back to my boar-chimera)

It took a few years of trying different species (time line might be a little off), I started with a red wolf based off the idea of Wolf's Rain but I couldn't get attached to her I sometimes blame my situation at the time for the lack of connection. (Gifted nsfw art from a friend that didn't feel like 'me.') After that I tried a mourning dove based on my love for Hatoful Boyfriend but I had a hard time drawing wings and anthro birds so I gave up on her. Next I obtained a Final Fantasy fan-character behemoth, I connected immediately I loved her she was perfect and fit me to a T at the time but then drama happened and after the drama I felt a disconnect- I still use her as a top 'sona' but not as much anymore.. Then I tried a BOAR. It was perfect, I loved her she suited me so well.. and then a massive disconnect happened because a friend kinda shoved a relationship with her down my throat// After that I bounced a lot between many different OCs after a while I did a design trade with a good friend and the boar chimera she made for me was everything I wanted and I made sure my new boar had strict rules against nsfw and relationships so I could keep that attached feeling. I've always REALLY loved boars and her fur tones, 'hair style' and green highlights just really called out to me.

I chose Moss & Ivory for my sona cause I felt that fitted her design. Moss being the boar with green spots which when I first saw her thought she looked a bit mossy and Ivory for the snake as I thought at first time seeing her that she looked like white ivory.

For boars specifically, I love seeing other boars in general cause I find wild boars just.. so aestheticly pleasing to look at, especially the snouts.

There isn't much I dislike though flat-faced boars always put me off a bit, where the nose is in the spot of a human nose and has proper lips? Iunno, like I said I enjoy the look of boar snouts so the snoutless/flat-face look looks off to me.. Feels uncanny and a little too human I suppose xD;;

• Like 3

brandy was made in 2016 as a myo for an species thats now dead (lol) and had different features like not wearing any clothes and having two spikes on her tail. slowly i weened her off of being a species character and just made her a normal bunny 🙂 i have always loved bunnies they are just the cutest!! 

her name is brandy and nothing really inspired it in particular. i just name all of my characters the first thing that comes to my head! sometimes her and i aren't really separated so i call her (me) rose too~

i love that everybun has a really cute aesthetic! sometimes you get really earthy farm-type buns or cute lolita buns and everything in between! something about the old country aesthetic combined with pink makes my heart flutter ❤️

the only thing i dont like about my fellow bunnies is that they typically dont like to interact much and seem to just post art and leave it at that. i want to see more outgoing buns and make some bun friends 🐇

large.1504565757.rosestars_brandy_ref_17.png.209a5b7e43fdb0e99a38c18f4468e02b.png

• Like 5

late as hell to this buuut

I needed a fursona and one time in 7th grade science class we'd been watching a documentary about fennec foxes, and my friend had told me if I were an animal, I'd be a fennec fox. So I used one as my sona! I like big ears

It's really dumb. I used to be really into neon colors, so it's a shortening of the French word for "highlighter" lmaooo

Ears xD plus fennecs are generally nice and affectionate, and we constantly make fennec puns

What do you dislike about others of your same species?

Ok dumb pet peeve, but I really wish I saw more fens with the distinctive eye markings foxes have. People never have them and when they do they're so small! Plus, artists almost never draw mine right.
Another design pet peeve in fennec characters: when the ears aren't big enough and face isn't sharp enough for it to recognizably be a fennec at all. I see so many fennecs drawn like canines and or regular foxes and whilst I totally understand that it's really hard to draw a fennec face right (I can't really do it either tbh), at the very least make the ears noticeable!!
Where the actual members of my species are concerned, nothing to dislike. They're wondearful people 😄

worst horse.png

• Like 4

i was on flipnote hatena and i wanted a monkfish dragon character

lophius is a scientific name related to anglerfish

theyre dragons

enough said

idk

• Like 3

I tried multiple canine and hyena characters that never stuck beyond a few weeks, I just couldn't connect to them beyond being a cute design. I even had a persona at one point lol! I was getting pretty frustrated when my boyfriend said I act most like a rabbit. I have a pet bun irl with a spunky attitude so he got to see how a real bunny behaves haha. Then I just pulled up a template and her design kind of just came out! She's stuck ever since. Pumpkin has had slight tweaks since she was created almost two years ago, but has roughly stayed the same. She's also the first anthro character I've had to have hair! (besides fur ofc)

fun fact: I chose the species of my boyfriend's first ever fursona in return! he's a big grumpy bear

10941014_J4SlsksXVtNoBJe.png

tbh it just popped into my head when I finished her initial design. I'm also a huge fan of pumpkin flavored things and fall in general

super cute and refreshing to see prey animals!

unrealistic dog/cat anatomy with bunny ears and buck teeth slapped on lol

• Like 4

How did you come about choosing your fursonna?: I chose my main fursona based on my interests and what I fit. I chose a dragon because they don't exist, so there's nothing set for them. You don't know what a "dragon" realistically looks like, so their parts aren't set in stone really! Plus, I assume that if they did exist, they would be ominvores (most anyway)! I don't like having my main fursona being just a carnivore or a herbivore! I want them to eat all the fruits, vegetables, and meat they can! Also dragons are just super cool ~ uwu When I first joined the fandom, I was a lion. Then a cat, then a wolf, then a dog, and a million mixes.

For about 9 to 10 years as a Furry, I have changed my fursona a million times. Before my current dragon, my longest lasting fursona was for about 4 to 5 months. Before that, it was a month. I was constantly changing, being super unhappy with every design I made a "fursona". I was so jealous of other furries and their fursona designs. Even people who just knew what they wanted to be and stuck with it for years. My current main fursona is the only design I have ever made that I've been super happy with and believe he's the absolute best dragon. ♥ It was super stressful in the past, and I hated it so much. I've tried to "leave" the fandom multiple times over it.

What about your fursona name?: His name is Lawliet Moon! I chose it because I personally go by Lawliet, and the Moon is just beautiful! I have an absolute obsession over the night skies, the moon, space, galaxies, etc! So Lawliet is very blue, dark, mysterious, and beautiful! I'm super proud of myself. He's the most adorable and most beautiful character I've made, and he's so much like me. If one day we can become our fursonas without any bad side effects, I'd take it in a heartbeat! ♥♥

What do you like about others of your same species?: I love other dragons! Dragons are super cool, I love their designs, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with them! They're the best, and my favorite, specie! Or should I say fantasy creature ~ ? But yeah, dragons are the best. ~ uwu

What do you dislike about others of your same species?: That there's not more of us. uwu Other than that, I'm not really sure. I adore dragons, and I don't see anything wrong with them. Plus as I've said before, they don't exist, so we don't know what they would look like. So I can't say there's any real flaws in their design or anything.

Full Feral Reference Sheet.png

• Like 4

Oh boi, here I come with my terrible english~ 

Answer:  I was like 14 years old (I was no into furry fandom back then and I did not know about their existence), I wanted to create a character where I could represent myself, then I thought about a baby chicken, because they are fluffy! just look! tiny and adorable! and that is how my little birbsona was born, a biped young chicken with red bow and magenta glasses (you can actually see her in my icon profile) ! ❤️ 

Here a lil chicken that I found on google! ❤️❤️ so fluffy~~~!

pollitogranja.jpg.ae86bf82fba69d1374a8abc5b51b7a8b.jpg

I simply named her as Hiyoko ( Japanese to english = chick) and that is how my friends call me Hiyo. Also its because its easier to remember her name and it would fit with her.

Chickens are funny specie, they are so fluffy and lovable! They are such affectionate birds, they can even be funny pets and they can kind of "purr" if you pet em. 

Also momma chickens rock! they can take care of puppies, duckies, baby turkeys, even kitties uvu!

What I dislike is that they arent common or populars :c 

Chickens deserve more attention and love! sadly there only 1% of chance that I could see another person with chickensona :"")))

• Like 4

Ahh, newbie here! I hope you don't mind me hopping on this thread! All of these replies were really interesting to read through so I figured I could add one more!

So, choosing what Mill would be (species and design wise) was pretty easy and... straightforward! I've always really loved dinosaurs- like, to the point where I would spend recess at school walking around like a raptor and making giant 'nests' out of leaves to sit in and make 'raptor sounds'. I was... a pretty odd kid. But I really loved dinosaurs, and my recently rekindled interest (thanks to playing ARK) really made me connect with memories I'm really fond of. Therizino is my favorite dinosaur, dinosaurs make me happy, so Millicent is a Therizinosaurus.

I do feel like a big ole herbivore... but with big murder claws.

Her design is based on a northern cardinal, which happen to be one of my favorite birds... and the state bird of my home state (I'm from Ohio, but moved out of state a while ago). Again I hold my childhood memories pretty fondly, so I went with something that made me think of home and who I always have been.

Mill isn't my first "fursona", though I'm certain she's my last. People are always changing and growing as we get older and experience more, but I feel like I finally found something that really represents me and not just who I want to be or what I want people to think of me. I'm glad I've gotten the connection to her like I have!

Mill's name is... actually my own! Well, the "Millicent" part of it anyways! The Morrison part I kind of... borrowed from Overwatch. I was really, really into Overwatch a few years ago, and I mean... I still have a pretty impressive collection of merch. I don't play much any more (mostly because I'm terrible at it), but I brought the name of my fan character (Millicent Morrison) with me, because like my fursona, that character was very much made after my own image and I really connected with her!

I... actually don't think I've even seen any Therizinosaurus characters let alone somebody's fursona! If there were any of them out there, though, I'd really love to meet them!

I do know a lot of people have other dino-sonas, though, and I think they're all really cool in their own way! It's really interesting to see what reconstructions people base their characters off of. I do wish I could see more of the 'less popular' species, though. There are a lot of really wonderful dinosaurs that the media really doesn't cover, and so they're not very well known. I think those would make really awesome fursonas!

This kind of ties in with that last bit of my previous answer! I do feel like a lot of dino-sonas tend to use a lot of the same species- which are things like t-rex and raptors. They're almost always a species that's been popularized by the media, and while I don't think they're any less cool than any other dinosaur species (because let's be honest here, almost everyone who likes dinosaurs thinks t-rex and raptors are really cool), I do think that they kind of over-shadow some other really cool and lesser known species!

I would think that if someone wanted a really unique fursona, they could look up some really interesting species that maybe haven't been put into popular games or movies!

Again, though, I'm also pretty interested to see more people with fursonas of the same species as my own!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ItsMillicent said:

Ahh, newbie here! I hope you don't mind me hopping on this thread! All of these replies were really interesting to read through so I figured I could add one more!

So, choosing what Mill would be (species and design wise) was pretty easy and... straightforward! I've always really loved dinosaurs- like, to the point where I would spend recess at school walking around like a raptor and making giant 'nests' out of leaves to sit in and make 'raptor sounds'. I was... a pretty odd kid. But I really loved dinosaurs, and my recently rekindled interest (thanks to playing ARK) really made me connect with memories I'm really fond of. Therizino is my favorite dinosaur, dinosaurs make me happy, so Millicent is a Therizinosaurus.

I do feel like a big ole herbivore... but with big murder claws.

Her design is based on a northern cardinal, which happen to be one of my favorite birds... and the state bird of my home state (I'm from Ohio, but moved out of state a while ago). Again I hold my childhood memories pretty fondly, so I went with something that made me think of home and who I always have been.

Mill isn't my first "fursona", though I'm certain she's my last. People are always changing and growing as we get older and experience more, but I feel like I finally found something that really represents me and not just who I want to be or what I want people to think of me. I'm glad I've gotten the connection to her like I have!

Mill's name is... actually my own! Well, the "Millicent" part of it anyways! The Morrison part I kind of... borrowed from Overwatch. I was really, really into Overwatch a few years ago, and I mean... I still have a pretty impressive collection of merch. I don't play much any more (mostly because I'm terrible at it), but I brought the name of my fan character (Millicent Morrison) with me, because like my fursona, that character was very much made after my own image and I really connected with her!

I... actually don't think I've even seen any Therizinosaurus characters let alone somebody's fursona! If there were any of them out there, though, I'd really love to meet them!

I do know a lot of people have other dino-sonas, though, and I think they're all really cool in their own way! It's really interesting to see what reconstructions people base their characters off of. I do wish I could see more of the 'less popular' species, though. There are a lot of really wonderful dinosaurs that the media really doesn't cover, and so they're not very well known. I think those would make really awesome fursonas!

This kind of ties in with that last bit of my previous answer! I do feel like a lot of dino-sonas tend to use a lot of the same species- which are things like t-rex and raptors. They're almost always a species that's been popularized by the media, and while I don't think they're any less cool than any other dinosaur species (because let's be honest here, almost everyone who likes dinosaurs thinks t-rex and raptors are really cool), I do think that they kind of over-shadow some other really cool and lesser known species!

I would think that if someone wanted a really unique fursona, they could look up some really interesting species that maybe haven't been put into popular games or movies!

Again, though, I'm also pretty interested to see more people with fursonas of the same species as my own!

Making me miss  my collection of murder chickens / nightmare turkeys on ARK lol. When I first started playing they were a source of horror, but now whenever I play I've just gotta tame as many as I can ^^

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ammy Rootpaws said:

Making me miss  my collection of murder chickens / nightmare turkeys on ARK lol. When I first started playing they were a source of horror, but now whenever I play I've just gotta tame as many as I can ^^

Oh man I had so many on my old Ragnarok server. I'm pretty sure I had... 60? 70? They're one of my favorite dinos aside from maaaaybe wyverns. I went a little overboard with both of those. Oh! And Tek Stegos. I had a lot of those too. x'D