Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meatniku

What got you into the furry fandom?

first time starting a thread or posting on a forum hope I'm doing this right lol

Here's a fun question, how did find out about furries and what made you want to be one? I think what got into the fandom was playing on Neopets back in the early 2000s as a kid. I remember being absolutely obsessed with neopets and spending so many hours on that site taking care of my neopets. Only to eventually stop visiting the website and abandoning my pets like a deadbeat dad who say's he's going to 7Eleven to get milk, but I digress. I especially loved the comics they had where the neopets were more like people and less like weird animals. Some of my favorites where Hannah and the Ice Caves and that one with the weird blue mutant guy or something like that. I would draw comics of my own neopets as anthros all the time at school and eventually found out about furries a few years later via Deviantart. I think it's kind of funny that I was a furry before I even knew what a furry was. Anyways how did you get introduced to furries? I'd love to hear it!

cliff.png

• Like 4

I got introduced into the community by an RPG group and forum I used to be a part of. We had an RP where the characters were genetically engineered to survive on a certain planet, and couldn't be human...so I started searching for references. That's how I found the community and that was about 2007. I joined FA in 2010, and as they say, the rest is history. My first OC came late 2010, but it was never posted anywhere. My first "public" OC was Caleb (an Orca character) in 2016...and it's kinda gone from there.

• Like 2

I first discovered furries through NSFW content - not sure how I found it honestly - but didn't realize there was a whole subculture at the time. Since then I've started drawing furry art on my own and delved into the teratophilia community briefly before meeting my boyfriend who's a furry and I realized with his help that the furry fandom is a better fit for me than teratophilia. And he's helped me find a sona I'm actually happy with after years of scrapped designs.

• Like 2

Actually, Neopets was also my introduction to furry, but in a different sort of way. I didn't pay much attention to the Neopets comics, but I roleplayed a lot on their forums and guilds. It all started with a wolf roleplay, which became a wolf fursona, and I never looked back after that.

Other things that probably contributed to my discovering furry was the Warrior Cats novels and its community, and the furry animator community on 2010 Youtube.

• Like 2

first post woop

I pretty much grew up with this very small fascination of animal people through such films and art you'd see normally, that was it until I somewhat came across the fandom some odd years ago and just went nope

however, around... before summer 2017, a friend of mine brought a copy of... Zootopia - we got to watch it and as usual I got deeply fascinated with the film and its characters... and I came across the fandom again on reddit soon after. I wondered why my friend was very keen over the film before then har har

from the wonderful art I've been seeing for a while now, I am just about to take drawing seriously which I used to decently draw a lot of cartoons right off my head but even though it was a lot of fun and a lot of people I knew rather liked my stuff, all of this never really clicked to me anyhow

... I am still thinking up of a fursona or two but there's this a character I've been thinking of a little while now

enjoyed reading others' stories and typing this, cheers for the interesting question

My first exposure to the fandom was actually a random video of Telephone the Angel Dragon that I happened to com across during my Sophomore year of high school. I did a bit of digging, found out who she was, and was immediately exposed to the fandom including the NSFW side, which deterred me a little but after doing more research I quickly came to just accept most of it.  After that, I did a bit more research into just what furries are and what defined them, had that "omg I relate so much to this" moment, created my first 'sona (that I still use, though now as just another one of my many characters) and began calling myself a furry. Even through all the prejudice.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was looking for “wolf costumes” when I was about 7-10 years old. I stumbled across BeastCub’s YouTube videos and their quadsuits! My mom was supportive of me being a “furry” since day one and wants a fursona of her own which I have yet to design for her!~

Edited by huskyhiccups
Grammar mistakes and clarification.
  • Like 1

Like many, I was just really into animated movies that had talking animals in them, and had a strange affinity for the ones that involved romance. Lion King, Lady & The Tramp and Rio come to mind. I later found out about the fandom pretty early on in my life through looking up certain scenes of these movies, but only considered myself an active part of it around 3 years ago.

I dunno, man. Romance between talking animals warms my heart. I'm weeiiird.

• Like 1

Klonoa. That's it, playing Klonoa 2 then looking at the internet for pictures of Klonoa then I found out that the furry community is a thing.

I miss Klonoa...

• Like 2

Ah~  I had heard about furries growing up, but really didn't have an opinion or a solid understanding of what the furry community was.  I had the usual misconception that the comm was specifically "adult" anthro... themes.  But honestly, that didn't bother me much.  I always thought that anthros were really cool and tons of animators had very adult characters as anthros in my favorite kids movies.  If I'm honest, I probably absolutely crushed on a great deal of them.  So, eventually, I came to the conclusion that I thought furries were cool!

The feeling got magnified in highschool when a fellow lgbt guy told me he was a furry and asked me if I wanted to see his fursona art.  It was really cute!  I honestly found it very charming.  Skip ahead to opening up a cosplay shop... I ran a small business selling costume accessories and found out I really LOVED working with faux fur.  It was soft and very easy for me to work with-- and very forgiving if my stitching looked icky lol.  Many of my accessories sold, but my clip-in ears and tails were really what helped me make an income.  Over time a TON of furries found my lil shop and asked if I could make them custom sets for their fursonas!

My furry customers were all really understanding and sweet, and many of them even tipped (I have a bad habbit of selling my stuff at too low of a price to make up for the time and materials, so tips were a godsend).  I really started to love seeing everyone's fursonas... They were just SO happy and sweet!  I started marketing directly to furry groups and made little fursona badges for free for customers that provided a reference or were just SUPER kind.  I really started to fall in-love with the community.

I thought: hey, most of my customers are furries.  I should see if there's a con near me!  There was, and it was brand-new!  I made my first fursona and my first fursuit, and attended my very first furry convention "Motor city furry con".  The people attending were so sweet.  It had spread around that this was my first con, character, and suit--- and in the elevator on my way up to the room, the ENTIRE elevator just fussed over me, told me they were proud of me, and just showered me in compliments?  It was so heartwarming that I just happy cried all the way back to my room.

I've seen some scary stuff since, but I don't think there's anything that can wipe those wonderful memories away.  I fell in love with the community, and I'm so happy I get to take part in it.  I now have a fursona that I love very much, made many friends, and just in-general have gained so much more confidence in myself and my work.

• Like 4

One of my friends started to do exclusively furry art for a bit and I enjoyed the way the art looked. So she helped me make a fursona. I've been in the fandom off and on for about 9 years. I've been wanting to go to a furry con since the last one I was at was in 2011 and it was Further Confusion, I believe. My memory sucks, lol

• Like 1

Around 2010 (I think??) I joined this wolf roleplaying site and I got stuck to it. I discovered the furry and general artwork world through the artists of that site. Throughout all this time I was just starting to draw properly myself. I just really loved animals and identifying myself as one or having a character that represented me seemed like an alien idea that I was eager to explore back then.

Yet nowadays I am still unsure of the fact that I want to call myself a "furry". Either being and not being a furry don't give me a sense of belonging, so I'll stick with either label if I have to be labelled. It all just comes down to enjoying the creativity people behold, meeting amazing people, supporting artists and pushing myself further into the art world and improve on myself.

I guess I was sort of always a furry, though I didn't discover the fandom until some point back in high school. I grew up with pets and always thought it would be fantastic if they could think and talk like us, most of the art I did as a kid was of little anthropomorphic animal people, etc. so finding the fandom was a sort of inevitable progression. 

• Like 1

I just always drew anthro characters before I even was exposed to furry and the like! Eventually I became aware of furaffinity and began to create more and more work.. still going to this day!

• Like 1

I feel that the first influence I had with the furry fandom was on Neopets. My friend and I would create stories and characters with our Neopets including quad, anthro, and human forms so we could roleplay in any age appropriate environment. My friend learned about the furry community before I did and started going to meet ups. Eventually, I started drawing more and more fursona art for us and was asked if I had a furaffinity account. If someone IRL asks if you have a furaffinity account you, at some point before then, probably became a furry. 

My initial step into the furry fandom was through streaming! I got really lucky meeting people through Picarto that gave me the stepping stones I needed.

I got into a multistream just about every night with a couple friends. I decided I wanted to dip my toe into furry art, since I had a background in drawing animals, and before she'd even seen my art, one of said friends wanted to commission me. Working on that piece brought in someone else who has become a friend, and he was really amazing. He ordered commission after commission from me, which gave me a real boost in confidence, and plenty of drive and direction in my drawings to keep me focused. From there I got noticed from posting on FA, and joining different furry Discord servers, and I'm pretty happy with the little bit that I've managed in my short time in the fandom!

• Like 1

I always liked drawing pokemon, and finding a fandom where the mayority likes pokemon pics got me into it xD. Also animal characters~.

• Like 1

Warrior cats got me into the fandom! In middle school I was a huge fan of the books and the art people would make, and because a lot of furry artists also drew warrior cats naturally I found furries too. So I started drawing furries as well and now I’m a fursuit maker and artist and I am so happy that warriors introduced me to this world.

• Like 2

I quickly had access to a computer and tablet at a young age. I used to google search images and try and copy them. I fell across DeviantART, and then i met friends. 

It was quite easy to understand what a furry means. Furry is basically the in real life(but with animals) equivalent as an online persona. 

I love mine! She's so me! 

Tbh it was for the sole purpose to draw my bff’s fursona with my own, so I had to make one owo 

as a kid, I really disliked the idea of “talking animals”. still kinda unnerves me, but when it’s anthro it’s alright. ive always thought furry characters looked pretty cool, especially feline and canine ones. however it took me a long time to realize not all furries are as sexual as people outside the fandom depict them to be and I’ve been able to find a lot of great artists who primarily do SFW art.  

speaking of which 👀 if ur profile is primarily SFW, react to this so I can check it out and follow 💕

• Like 1

In a good example of "bad press is still good press" I found furries because some people online were trash talking furries with all the usual awful and patently untrue talking points. Y'know, the usual stuff I'm sure we've all heard.

I looked into it, took roughly no time at all to figure out those people were just jerks, and for a few years mostly just passively enjoyed content before finally making my own OC's one day. First for RP related stuff, then visually once I became more confident in my artistic abilities

For me it was monster girls. I am an nerd/otaku. I watch anime, read manga, as well as watch toku. (Toku is power rangers.) I stumbled onto a manga called my everyday life with monster girls. Which lead to a wiki featuring an encyclopedia about monster girls. I then started RPing as my fursona while he was still a neko. I then just decided to go full furry after a couple of months. The current reference of him is the newest iteration. He was a basic wolf and decided wanted him to be different and a little bit more my own. 

• Like 1

I've always loved animals. Loved seeing them and taking care of them. On an entirely different topic, I love gaming, mythological creatures, Themed creatures. These two combined drew me to the fandom of which I was introduced by a previous friend when I was 19.

I'm now 27 and the fandom has helped me build my career as an artist. I can't thank it enough for that ^^

In some ways, I've always been a furry. I was a self-proclaimed "horse girl" growing up, dying to become an equestrian, ride horses, and eat up every bit of horse info out there. From there, I started playing a bunch of animal-related games online: Neopets, SIM Stables, Horseland, Furry Paws, Furcadia (just to name a few!). I roleplayed often on forums and commissioned art of my characters, using in-game currency.

It wasn't until I grew older and met my mate, Lopiko, that I learned about the actual furry fandom. I jumped right in and created my own fursona, Aria, and within a year, I'd commissioned quite a bit of art and had attended a couple conventions. There's no looking back now! 🐱

• Like 4