• It has been a long time coming, but after a final test, Discord Integration has been made available again. To access the integration, and to re-integrate your account with FLO, you can visit Preferences and click into Connected accounts, or use this link.
  • We noticed that there's been an influx of users registering with emails that are not recommended for use for this website such as school emails, emails that are associated with domains for managed groups, etc. Read more here.

Discord link ?

Tamara

I just saw the notice about Discord integration being back, I don't use it personally but it's good news for the people who do, but I cannot find a link to the FLO discord proper. There was the widget in the previous incarnation of the site, but it hasn't been back, as far as I can tell. Is there a link to join FLO's discord somewhere on the site ? If not, could you put one somewhere with a permanent invitation, so that everyone, including new members, can join it as well ?

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
Once your account is linked and integrated, the linked discord account is automatically added to the server. I'll see about a widget at some point next weekend.

Reactions: Tamara

Tamara

Thanks. I'm not a fan of integration and cross-login for security reasons : if one online place gets hacked and passwords are stolen, at least the damage will be limited to that one place, not spread around because I have the same credentials on different sites.

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
Thanks. I'm not a fan of integration and cross-login for security reasons : if one online place gets hacked and passwords are stolen, at least the damage will be limited to that one place, not spread around because I have the same credentials on different sites.
FLO does offer 2 factor authentication in your settings. Generally, it is advised that you use different credentials on different sites to prevent something like this. Because of how our integration with discord works, to join the FLO server, we will require that integration, as it will automatically update and apply statuses to you on the server. Discord, also, offers 2 factor authentication.

At this time, we will not have a general and open to anyone discord link, if thats what you meant in your first post.

Tamara

FLO does offer 2 factor authentication in your settings. Generally, it is advised that you use different credentials on different sites to prevent something like this. Because of how our integration with discord works, to join the FLO server, we will require that integration, as it will automatically update and apply statuses to you on the server. Discord, also, offers 2 factor authentication.
I do use different credentials on every site I'm on, and uses strong password consisting of at least 8 varied characters, because the length of the password is also very important. What kind of update and status will be applied on the discord server through that integration ? Will it cross-post some our post and such ?

At this time, we will not have a general and open to anyone discord link, if thats what you meant in your first post.
Yes, that's what I meant, thanks for the precision. Maybe that should be put somewhere prominent so everyone, old members and new members alike know what to do to join the discord server.

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
What kind of update and status will be applied on the discord server through that integration ? Will it cross-post some our post and such ?

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks for the precision. Maybe that should be put somewhere prominent so everyone, old members and new members alike know what to do to join the discord server.
It automatically updates your user roles on discord. Further, integration offers push notifications through discord via a bot for those who would like push notifications without using our PWA.

Tamara

Can you explain why the integration bot asks to have access to the complete list of every server I'm a member of ?

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
After doing some research, the bot needs the permissions to determine whether or not you're already in the FLO server. Then, if it determines that you aren't, it'll automatically add you and give you the roles you have here on the website.

BPStuart

Tanzanite Founder
What exactually is the function of Discord integration?
what advantages are there to activating it?

Should i decide not to follow the link provided in the discord and reintegrate my account, will i be removed from the discord server?

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
What exactually is the function of Discord integration?
what advantages are there to activating it?

Should i decide not to follow the link provided in the discord and reintegrate my account, will i be removed from the discord server?
It links your account to our discord, giving you the permissions there that you have here (For instance, access into NSFW channels).

The advantages of activating it are:
-Invite into the Discord (Obviously if you're in the discord already through the old integration, this isn't necessary)
-Adjust your roles according to activated roles here on FLO (For instance, Mature 18+ and Explicit)
-Alerts can be sent as a Discord DM Alert for those who want push notifications on their phone and don't want to install the available PWA (Progressive web app).

At the moment, we have no intention of removing anyone who is already on the discord via our old integration.

Tamara

After doing some research, the bot needs the permissions to determine whether or not you're already in the FLO server. Then, if it determines that you aren't, it'll automatically add you and give you the roles you have here on the website.
Alright, as long as the bot is just performing a check and not copying and storing the information somewhere, I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Venthas

Tamara

The bot didn't do it's job properly : I was invited to the server, but it didn't gave me the roles to access the NSFW channels despite having 'mature' and 'explicit' enabled here on the site. Tried leaving and rejoining the server to see if it would fix it, but it didn't. Can you fix that and give me the roles on the server, please ?

Venthas

Community Administrator
Community Admin
The bot didn't do it's job properly : I was invited to the server, but it didn't gave me the roles to access the NSFW channels despite having 'mature' and 'explicit' enabled here on the site. Tried leaving and rejoining the server to see if it would fix it, but it didn't. Can you fix that and give me the roles on the server, please ?
Found the error. Bot wasn't high enough in the Roles ladder to add the proper roles. It should be fixed now.