Riots in the Capitol Building

Arris

Kinda surprised that nobody's made a thread for this, but then again, most of yall probably already learned this from somewhere else. Figured it was worth setting up a thread anyway, so I can get news about things in case they crop up.

Anyway, quick summary for anyone who doesn't know already: crazy right wingers broke into the US Capitol building because they still think Trump won the election.

Reactions: M1L35 M4R54L15

Surge

I for one am shocked that a crowd of off-duty cops and petite bourgeoisie assholes were allowed to storm the capitol with intent to take and execute hostages and nobody stopped them on the way in or out. SHOCKED I SAY.

Surge

So Trump has been banned from twitter at least 6 times today, banned from facebook, his campaign's email newsletter has been shut down, an small list of die-hard surrogates and supporters are being removed from social media, parler is being blacklisted from app-stores, and the noose around the administration is FINALLY closing.

Honestly I'm pretty concerned because as a lot of historians have noted attempted coups are rarely a 1 time deal, given people at Parler are already talking about a potential sequel its to be seen if enough arrests/general consequences happen in the next couple of weeks to force these asshole back into the darkest pits of the internet. I mean we already have social media bans as an immediate consequences and several arrests of randos that attended the riot but I think it will take the cops and politicians involved actually facing serious consequences to make fascists legitimately too terrified to act.

Like its always important to remember these sad fucks are the world's biggest cowards that only act this way because they think as real patriots™ that are immune to having to actually follow the rules and laws. Being shown quite bluntly they aren't in fact special snowflakes will make 98% of them go back to just quietly trying to insert racism into their humor during private conversations instead of showing up goose-stepping around in public.

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
Honestly I'm pretty concerned because as a lot of historians have noted attempted coups are rarely a 1 time deal, given people at Parler are already talking about a potential sequel its to be seen if enough arrests/general consequences happen in the next couple of weeks to force these asshole back into the darkest pits of the internet. I mean we already have social media bans as an immediate consequences and several arrests of randos that attended the riot but I think it will take the cops and politicians involved actually facing serious consequences to make fascists legitimately too terrified to act.

Like its always important to remember these sad fucks are the world's biggest cowards that only act this way because they think as real patriots™ that are immune to having to actually follow the rules and laws. Being shown quite bluntly they aren't in fact special snowflakes will make 98% of them go back to just quietly trying to insert racism into their humor during private conversations instead of showing up goose-stepping around in public.
You're not wrong, things can likely go worse in the next few months. Brush up on your emergency response training, it may save a life.

Reactions: FamiliarAlien

M1L35 M4R54L15

My sympathies go out to the victims of the violence on Capitol Hill and their families; I have a few colleagues are who are staffers on the Hill and a friend who was a Capitol Police officer was injured in the insurrection.

I wish those who were hurt swift recovery and those troubled by this attack on our freedom peace.

Surge

Aye, we're going to see more and worse violence from the Qanon crowd. I don't really know what there is that we can do about it though. The Democrats have repeatedly affirmed their intent to respond to right-wing shenanigans in the worst possible way so we kinda just have to wait and see.

Reactions: FamiliarAlien

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
Aye, we're going to see more and worse violence from the Qanon crowd. I don't really know what there is that we can do about it though. The Democrats have repeatedly affirmed their intent to respond to right-wing shenanigans in the worst possible way so we kinda just have to wait and see.
We have to be careful about calling for measures and legislation to catch them in the planning stage, because knowing the police and the state, what often happens is that a lot of the precedents that will be set by those measures will be weaponized against BLM protestors and BIPOC folks, on the mere suspicion that they might commit a crime.

The best we can really do is to be ready for when the storm happens so we can give the inevitable casualties first aid and quickly. I'd also say learning to perform citizen's arrests but that also has the potential to escalate a situation.

Tamara

The social media bans and the removal of Parler from everywhere (Amazon is pulling the plug on their hosting as well, effectively killing the site until they find another host) is a good thing but it comes way too late. The decision is the good answer, but they're hardly 'profiles in courage' by the social networks and hosting companies since it comes less than two weeks before agent orange loses his comfy seats, ie at a time when the companies knows they risk nothing, as the rotten fruit won't be able to pass any legislation to hurt them, for example. Something he has threatened to do basically since he was elected.

I do hope that the FBI works with due diligence and arrest each and every one of the person involved in the event, up to an including the politicians who fanned the flames, supported this attempted coup, including the leader of the cult himself, who sent his minions to the Capitol with a quite transparent discourse. We'll see what happen, many arrests have already been made and I've just read that a van fill of weapons was found two blocks from the Capitol, and belonged to someone who sent text messages to relatives saying he wanted to gun down Pelosi...

I fully expect something to happen ton January 20th when Biden is officially sworn in. There is little doubt in my mind that someone, or maybe several someones, will try something, attempt to disrupt the ceremony, maybe even an attempt on Biden's and Harris's lives... I do hope that the FBI and whatever authorities are involved in the security of the event will be at their best and prevent it...

M1L35 M4R54L15

We have to be careful about calling for measures and legislation to catch them in the planning stage, because knowing the police and the state, what often happens is that a lot of the precedents that will be set by those measures will be weaponized against BLM protestors and BIPOC folks, on the mere suspicion that they might commit a crime.

The best we can really do is to be ready for when the storm happens so we can give the inevitable casualties first aid and quickly. I'd also say learning to perform citizen's arrests but that also has the potential to escalate a situation.
I'm speaking for myself, but I want these extremists caught in the planning before they can cause major disruptions and kill innocent people. There also needs to be an honest conversation about BLM and the fact that they do not pose the threat we have often been told they do up until the death of Mr. Floyd and Ms. Taylor. With Democrats in the Oval Office and the Congress, I'm optimistic they can thread the needle between diffusing the Alt-Right existential threat and protecting civil liberties.

We can't let what-ifs paralyze us.

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
I'm speaking for myself, but I want these extremists caught in the planning before they can cause major disruptions and kill innocent people. There also needs to be an honest conversation about BLM and the fact that they do not pose the threat we have often been told they do up until the death of Mr. Floyd and Ms. Taylor. With Democrats in the Oval Office and the Congress, I'm optimistic they can thread the needle between diffusing the Alt-Right existential threat and protecting civil liberties.

We can't let what-ifs paralyze us.
There is historical precedent to our worries, in the formation of fucking ICE camps. We must always be mindful of what we could lose on our way to prosecuting these people. Calling for more aggressive state measures to punish the bad people is just about the whitest thing anyone can imagine doing in this situation.

Reactions: Merv and Arris

Surge

The part that needs to be appreciated here is that the hypothetical needle of diffusing far-right terror and protecting civil liberties may not have an eye. There is not a guaranteed total win scenario to get us out of this, not this far into a catastrophe decades in the making. We may be forced to accept a defeat on one front to prevent one on the other, and claw our way back later down the line.

Surge

Or you know, civil war breaks out and the nation becomes balkanized. That could happen too.
uh, yeah that's what I'm saying. Our options at this point may not extend beyond plunging further into dystopia or irrevocably shattering the nation and killing tens of thousands.

Arris

The only way you can ever do this, is if nobody is allowed to have a moment of privacy, ever.

That means becoming "big brother".
don't give crazy twitter conservatives the edge to say things actually ARE like 1984 and be correct about it

Some more news: (tl;dr: all the Big Tech(tm) companies are refusing to host Parler)
https://deadline.com/2021/01/parler...-vendor-and-could-end-the-company-1234670607/

I'm hopeful that they go down for good, but also sorta worried that this is basically a call to get the right to actually start financially supporting Parler.

Also: I hate how this article is worded with the bias favoring Parler. Doesn't mention a lick of the crazy conservative spew in it, and the only mention of the Capitol attack is how it's "falsely attributed" to Parler.

Surge

forcing Gab and Parler into as small a bubble as possible is worthwhile. We can of course kill them outright but let's set that rabbithole aside. Disrupting their services and accessibility is a proven tactic to reduce the reach and influence of pipelines for the right-leaning towards terror groups.