• Hello everyone, applications to join the moderation team are open. Please see This Topic for more information!

The continued albiest bahavior in fandom spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

deporitaz

I'm trying to get the translation of "ableism" "ableist" to my language (spanish), but its getting confusing because i get different definitions :'D

Can someone explain the meaning of these please?
someone explained already but uh try looking up "capacitismo" it should be that word I think?? I haven't seen it written differently in spanish if I'm wrong I apologise!

Grinalbi

ptsd is a mentall illness so it absolutly does count, i tottally feel you on this, i have to force myself to use the word trigered now bc of all the bullshit the word has gotten online and it absolutly STINKS up a storm.

and i have sort of the opisite problem with typing lol, i tend to type rly fast (when i actually can get myself to type anything lmao) and make a lot of typos and spelling mistakes and ive often been mocked for it online, or corrected in what people THINK is being kind to be but actually just infriates me. i have a hard time with spelling and garammer and such even if i do slow down and its been somthing ive delt with and been a huge sore spot for me my whole life, so unless its like, my close freinds corecting me or i ask for corection it just makes me feel like shit, and no one seems to want to respect this and its conection to my learning disabilties (i have recenlty come to terms that i may very well be dyslexic)

and i tottally feel you on that last part too, its been a long long game of figureding shit out, i dont have a lot of diagnoisis either because i simply cannot have the energy, time or money to invet in getting them (on top of being told by a therpasit in the past that i should avoid seeking out certain ones for my own sfatey!) i could go on for hours about the process of getting diagnosis and issues with mental health services tho lmao so i wont get into that.

before covid i was supposed to finally start getting a proper diagnosis for autism, i had a percritopn from my doctor as i felt the last time i was tested was bunk, seeing as i was literally given tests for TOLDERS at 18, i mean what the hell man?

but i said i wont get into that too much so ill stop myself here lmao.
I've always been confused as to whether I can call myself neurodivergent bc a lot of arguments against it that I've seen are that stuff like PTSD is acquired, not something one is born with (like ADHD, autism, OCD, etc.) so that's why it can't be included... I guess bc of stuff like that, I've been scared of (mis)using the term for myself even tho I can relate to a lot of neurodivergent folks.

HHHHH anyways, I'm in the same boat. Either I force myself to use triggered to refer to my, well, triggers, or I have enough of the Bad Feels™️ to resort to not using it bc of how the term has been devalued. It really sucks too bc a lot of the time if you try and speak up about the misuse of the word and how it affects those of use who need that language, people can get.... real nasty to say the least.

I feel you on the misspelling. Part of the reason of why it takes me so long to type, alongside my brain not moving fast enough, is that I make a LOT of spelling errors that I have to be constantly going back and fixing. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all the bullcrap that comes with... just not being able to do something in the way that people think we should be doing. I hope that soon you'll be able to get that diagnoses though!

I've always been confused as to whether I can call myself neurodivergent bc a lot of arguments against it that I've seen are that stuff like PTSD is acquired, not something one is born with (like ADHD, autism, OCD, etc.) so that's why it can't be included... I guess bc of stuff like that, I've been scared of (mis)using the term for myself even tho I can relate to a lot of neurodivergent folks.

HHHHH anyways, I'm in the same boat. Either I force myself to use triggered to refer to my, well, triggers, or I have enough of the Bad Feels™️ to resort to not using it bc of how the term has been devalued. It really sucks too bc a lot of the time if you try and speak up about the misuse of the word and how it affects those of use who need that language, people can get.... real nasty to say the least.

I feel you on the misspelling. Part of the reason of why it takes me so long to type, alongside my brain not moving fast enough, is that I make a LOT of spelling errors that I have to be constantly going back and fixing. I'm so sorry that you have to deal with all the bullcrap that comes with... just not being able to do something in the way that people think we should be doing. I hope that soon you'll be able to get that diagnoses though!
personally my opnion on that is if you think you may fall into the ND umbrella, your free to use the term, even if your not sure exatly WHERE you may fall. I think some of the best advice ive found for brain stuff is if the coping mech/info helps then roll with it, dont bother worrying to much abt what label it falls under. the most important part of dealing with anything in that sense is just figuring out what works to help you, rather then figuring out what box you fit in. You can always worry about figuring otu where you fall/getting a diagnosis later afterall, coping with like in the moment is the msot important part!

• Thanks
Reactions: wormcoffin

rodentprince

@Grinalbi I tend to avoid labels of any sort out of some like.. fear of self-fulfilling prophecy type of deal, so my path to realizing "maybe my brain doesn't work the same way as most people" was an embarrassingly long bumbling around series of realizations of "wait, other people don't do this thing? or this thing?? or this thing????" I just spent my entire life rationalizing away stuff as things everyone deals with But Everyone Else Is Way Better At Dealing With It, Somehow. (And then talking to friends that are like Oh Yeah, I Definitely Think You're X. Well then.) I don't know if that's similar at all to how you're feeling but.. I think it's worth it to peek around at how other people work with their brains to get ideas for how to better work with your own, there's a wealth of information that becomes available for your consideration once you're like "okay, maybe my brain IS different".

For the PSTD/Trigger thing.. I think of it like this: a trigger feels instantaneous and gutterally distressing, rooted in past trauma or compulsions. It's a reaction you have very little control over, and encountering the thing unprepared is pretty much an uncontrollable mood shift for the worst. Triggers can be anything and you don't have to discuss your reasons for having them, our brain will make reaching connections after experiencing something threatening to protect ourselves from future threats because that's how brains work. So a trigger could be.. a taste, a song, anything. (And of course, the topic at hand for what was experienced.) You're just kinda.. mentally instantly teleported to that distressing state.

If it's a more.. abstract fear not necessarily rooted in trauma, but that same kind of knee-jerk uncontrollable reaction, I would use "Phobia". If it's something based in fear of social rejection, use "RSD". Something you heavily dislike and cannot stand, but don't necessarily have that instant gutpunch reaction.. maybe just a general "Don't talk to me about x". This is my personal opinion of course, anyone can feel free to contribute, but my understanding is that "trigger" should probably be reserved for that extreme instinctual rewired reaction.

Also.. I feel you on the writing thing. I type fast but I type a lot of words and my brain skips around mid-sentence so the end of a post is usually me trying to.. tie a bunch of thoughts together into something a little more coherent, haha. And then at the end of it all I'm embarrassed at saying the wrong thing or showing too much skin, pfftpt.

Shagoli

🦖
Staff Team
Tip for ADHDer's struggling with commissions! Get into streaming. It helped me a lot to stay on track with some sort of audience, timeslot, etc. Forces you to be in that present "this is happening now until it's done, there's people watching me!" It's super hard for me to overcome my "getting into the flow" performance anxiety so I usually make sure I at least have my sketches prepped beforehand, but other than that.. having an audience really helps me keep on track, social factors in general are a huge motivator (or demotivator, welp) for me. I've even taken to streaming at friends that I know are busy just to try and trick my brain a bit. (Also try not to get sucked into the "Oh, now that this is late I need to make sure it's Extra Good to compensate for it /puts it off even longer now that I've piled my perfectionist unobtainable art standards on top of everything else.")
OH this sounds so cool! I've been meaning to take a hand at it sometime, but my embarrassingly slow net connection hates working with my potato of a computer, a weakling with basically no RAM and a shit graphics card. I know what I'm putting on my christmas wishlist after rearranging my furniture to accommodate for an ethernet cable 😋

and i have sort of the opisite problem with typing lol, i tend to type rly fast (when i actually can get myself to type anything lmao) and make a lot of typos and spelling mistakes and ive often been mocked for it online, or corrected in what people THINK is being kind to be but actually just infriates me. i have a hard time with spelling and garammer and such even if i do slow down and its been somthing ive delt with and been a huge sore spot for me my whole life, so unless its like, my close freinds corecting me or i ask for corection it just makes me feel like shit, and no one seems to want to respect this and its conection to my learning disabilties (i have recenlty come to terms that i may very well be dyslexic)
god damn... same hat. my fine motor skills sporadically take a hike, and afterwards, I end up making nonsense spoonerism typos and mashing surrounding keys by accident. I would die without the backspace key and mobile keyboard suggestions. my issues are caused by adhd, I think, but far too many of us get dropped into the same problem of "I can't fucking type because my disability said 'no.'"

RyuuYouki

Tanzanite Founder
Tip for ADHDer's struggling with commissions! Get into streaming. It helped me a lot to stay on track with some sort of audience, timeslot, etc.
I can second this. I combined streaming with a Trello and I am SOOO much better about staying on track with art and commissions. I sometimes am at a point where I’m actually at a loss for what to do or draw because I’ve been so productive. It’s also kept me from hyper focusing and getting burn out.

I personally stream with a friend. This makes it so I have someone waiting on me/expecting me. Having someone to help me do the thing, makes it so much easier to do the thing! It’s become routine at this point. By 9pm on week nights I am set up and streaming art and weekends are my “off” days. Also, streaming with a friend means you don’t get bummed about a low/no viewers in your stream. Bonus! Lol

The Trello acts like an interactive reward checklist for me. I LOVE clicking noises. Got a pen? Click. Keyboards? THE LOUDER THE BETTER! With Trello I make check lists for what days and times to stream and work on commissions/art. Then when I compete those small time frames and tasks I get to “click” the check boxes and get that sweet sweet hit of dopamine. Since I have set times, I don’t get stuck in “the zone” where I just draw non stop until I injure my wrist and then get burn out for months. It forces me to take breaks while keeping me from falling behind.  

NAMCOnade

I feel this entire thread hard, thank you Flesh for making it. It's a conversation fandoms needs to have. Often fandoms will claim they are progressive but will immediately shut down disabled folks talking about ableism within fandom spaces.

It doesn't help that in general culture ableism is deeply rooted in our society. the rampant use of words such as the r slur as well as "memes" (i use this term lightly) such as "autistic screech"/"REEEE" (the latter being derived from this as well as alt right circles & pepe etc) and previously mentionned examples.

it's something ableds/neurotypicals NEED to open themselves up about: the society in which we all grew up in was founded in part in ableism. School systems are ableist, the job industry often has standards inachieveable for NDs/mentally ill/disabled folks, and even in the way we speak and joke it's often punching down those with disabilities. And heck, even other disabled folks especially within the autistic community, who feel the need to shut down criticism because it doesn't directly affect them, giving "r word passes" or whatever. It really is something that requires more progress.

And on another note, it's hard for me to make friends with a group majorly made of NT/abled/ND but who dont have ableism awareness because i often find myself having to tell them that x thing is ableist and y thing is also ableist, and while the friends i have listen to me, my words often go unheard and go completely ignored, or I have to repeat myself. It's not fun. I wish people would treat ableism with a similar attention as other minority issues, but alas people also don't really care about these unless it directly affects them  :classic_sad:  man

Sorry, this went on for a while. I hope i explained my feelings well

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
I have a lot of internalized ableism that I still need to unlearn despite being very neurodivergent, and yet, just this year, I have run afoul of a lot of leftists for starting to call myself out on some of it and also calling their ableist behaviour out. Like, they would express empathy privilege where they think that having empathy inherently makes them better people. This is very unfair to apaths like my headmate Iselyn, who has no desire to cause harm to other people. In fact, they care more about those around them than most people.

Even worse, ableist leftists often play armchair psychologist to political opponents. Which is very not okay, because I don't think it's fair to compare people suffering from mental illnesses to toxic people. And also, what if the toxic person really is mentally ill and is in need of specialized care? What good would pathologizing it do?

Last edited by a moderator:

somekh

BPD, ADHD, PTSD, GAD, and DID here and hooooooly shit.

I own a club on here that’s catered to... people with DID. You know. The severe trauma disorder caused by repeated abuse. So trauma survivors can have a support place.

And some fuckwad who doesn’t have DID but thinks that their imaginary friends are “close enough” on twitter started PINGING MEMBERS OF THE CLUB?? PUBLICLY?? To ask why they’re “in an exclusionist club”!!! First of all it’s not “exclusionist” - YOU are the one appropriating a severe trauma disorder by roleplaying it and telling survivors that they don’t need therapy. And second - holy shit! Not every group has to cater to roleplayers - survivors are allowed to have their own support networks!

I am going to transform into a feral boar and gore the next person who says that ~DID can be a choice~ and that you can ~opt in to “plurality”~. You can’t. Roleplay all you want but it will never resemble DID and trying to claim they are one and the same has traumatized literally dozens of people that I know. I can’t count on all my fingers and toes the number of friends that I have who are traumatized because they were told that therapy is bad and evil, or that their alters could just leave them or die, or that their system was “natural”.

And it’s rooted in ableism too! The history of the “plural” community started as an anti-DID smear campaign. They even called themselves “empowered multiples”, and diagnosed DID systems “survivor multiples”, and man did they HATE “survivor multiples”. Survivors were weak and coddled in their eyes and brainwashed by psychology.

Looking at a trauma disorder and going “well, I don’t have an impairment but I have all of the symptoms, so I don’t have your stinky pathologizing disorder” is so fucking ableist it makes me sick. I don’t understand how they can go around believing that everyone with a disorder or disability MUST be weak or coddled, or must live a miserable life unable to do the most basic of functions.

Coping doesn’t mean you don’t have the thing anymore!!! When I eat a pickle and take some pain meds for my POTS + fibro and the pain goes away... it doesn’t mean my disabilities went away!!! I coped! And I have a GREAT life thank you!!!

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
🧡 - I don't really make a distinction between endogenic systems and traumagenic systems, being an unintentional result of tulpamancy myself, and then later splitting, reintegrating, and then splitting again due to trauma. I personally think that drawing a line between the two is pretty harmful because the nature of a system does tend to be very gray. Whatever that person on twitter was doing was uncool though, and I wish they would stop.

💙 - That being said, there is nothing wrong with making a space for mostly/exclusively traumagenic systems to talk about their experiences and help each other recover. The whole point about discovering system members is to figure out the context of those memories, the traumas associated and to process them so that healing can take place. We probably have undiagnosed DID, and we don't really trust doctors in general, because we fear that they would pathologize us, and try to force us to integrate when it would do us no favours to do so.

❤️ - I am still trying to figure myself out to be honest, being the newest member, but I can tell you that I came about because of the trauma of having been gaslit by some really awful people. I'll say this: Trying to decide what system is or isn't valid based on suffering is no different to transmeds deciding who is or isn't a "trender" based on whether or not that person suffers from dysphoria.

• Love
Reactions: Grinalbi

somekh

🧡 - I don't really make a distinction between endogenic systems and traumagenic systems, being an unintentional result of tulpamancy myself, and then later splitting, reintegrating, and then splitting again due to trauma. I personally think that drawing a line between the two is pretty harmful because the nature of a system does tend to be very gray. Whatever that person on twitter was doing was uncool though, and I wish they would stop.

💙 - That being said, there is nothing wrong with making a space for mostly/exclusively traumagenic systems to talk about their experiences and help each other recover. The whole point about discovering system members is to figure out the context of those memories, the traumas associated and to process them so that healing can take place. We probably have undiagnosed DID, and we don't really trust doctors in general, because we fear that they would pathologize us, and try to force us to integrate when it would do us no favours to do so.

❤️ - I am still trying to figure myself out to be honest, being the newest member, but I can tell you that I came about because of the trauma of having been gaslit by some really awful people. I'll say this: Trying to decide what system is or isn't valid based on suffering is no different to transmeds deciding who is or isn't a "trender" based on whether or not that person suffers from dysphoria.
  • The nature of a system is not "gray" - the research available is extensive, well-sourced, and has decades of study behind it. Systemhopping is not real. Alter death is not real. Walk-ins are not real. Saying otherwise is genuinely traumatizing and can cause irreparable, irreversible mental damage to systems.
  • Integration is not what you think it is, and you've been fed a crock of lies by the endogenic community. Final fusion does NOT equal integration. And "pathologizing" is not negative.
  • It's WILDLY different from trans discourse. I'm not trans because my mother beat me. I'm not trans because I was groomed. I'm not trans because I was molested at age 12. I'm not trans because I was gaslit and screamed at. I'm not trans because I had my belongings physically ripped from my hands and had my privacy violated. I am a system because of all of these things. Comparing being trans to a disorder caused by heavy childhood abuse is both ableist and transphobic, as you are implying BOTH that being trans is a result of trauma (a TERF stereotype), and you are implying that DID is a choice. Neither of these is true. Stop it.

Tl;dr, thanks for being the exact kind of person I was lamenting: an ableist.

Edit: Learn your history, also. "Endogenics" have always been a malicious, fearmongering, ableist smear campaign, right from day 1.

please so syscourse in this thread, its such a wildly talked about topic with so many different perspective from many many different sides i dont want the hostility in here

i know this thread is about abliesm but i have to request no major aggression about this as its a topic that makes us (yes, we are a system) particularly anxious, as we have been continuously hurt and outcast for so much as DARING to have spiritual believes as a system, with psychosis, ect. (because for some reason your not allowed to have any spiritual or relgiious belifes when you have these thing it would seem poeple belive)  so i would rather not get into it in a public space for feel like we need to defend our existence or air our trauma for all to see all over again.

we prefer to avoid most system spaces for this exact reason of the hostility weve received.

i could argue about the abliesm within system and did comunties themselves and how they push people away who belong there but as i said i do not want this hostility in here, thank you for understanding. 

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
  • The nature of a system is not "gray" - the research available is extensive, well-sourced, and has decades of study behind it. Systemhopping is not real. Alter death is not real. Walk-ins are not real. Saying otherwise is genuinely traumatizing and can cause irreparable, irreversible mental damage to systems.
  • Integration is not what you think it is, and you've been fed a crock of lies by the endogenic community. Final fusion does NOT equal integration. And "pathologizing" is not negative.
  • It's WILDLY different from trans discourse. I'm not trans because my mother beat me. I'm not trans because I was groomed. I'm not trans because I was molested at age 12. I'm not trans because I was gaslit and screamed at. I'm not trans because I had my belongings physically ripped from my hands and had my privacy violated. I am a system because of all of these things. Comparing being trans to a disorder caused by heavy childhood abuse is both ableist and transphobic.

Tl;dr, thanks for being the exact kind of person I was lamenting: an ableist.

Edit: Learn your history, also. "Endogenics" have always been a malicious, fearmongering, ableist smear campaign, right from day 1.
You've invalidated someone's identity because they were being overly aggressive, that's pretty hard to get past to be honest, because it's abusive.

I'd like to see this research, because that idea, in my years of being around systems both traumagenic, endogenic and everything in between, this is new to me. Usually, someone who is endogenic does not realize that they are a traumagenic split until after a period of processing, and that kind of personal development can't really happen if they've been excluded and pushed away from the community in this manner. Even if it isn't the case, and an endogenic split is really endogenic, they deserve compassion and care to help them deal with this just as much as we do.

"Integration is not what you think it is, and you've been fed a crock of lies by the endogenic community." Except, that's literally what singlets have told me whenever I tell them i am plural, that it's not healthy to be split like this and that a therapist will help me "become whole" again. What you described is something that I and other DID/plural systems do anyways with each other's help, far more efficiently and without the usual financial/medical barriers, and you know what that means. That means excluding systems based on an arbitrary level of trauma will only do more harm in the long run.

And no, it is exactly the same. Gatekeeping and saying that an identity is only valid because of suffering and trauma, is gatekeeping because you think an identity is only valid because of suffering and trauma. And gatekeeping like this is only going to serve to create more trauma.

And no, I am not going to address "Endogenics are ableist" argument, that's DARVO tactics.

Sifyro

BPD, ADHD, PTSD, GAD, and DID here and hooooooly shit.
I know that these problems are all complex and there isnt a really easy and short way to explain them. Also sorry if I dont have nothing to add to this convo, but Im interested and curious to know stuff.

That being said, can you define the main characteristics of each one of these and what do these mean, please? I would appreciate a lot being taught by people that suffers these conditions, know their points of view, how do you deal with these. o:

I hope im not sounding rude. Im just trying my best to understand people.

Shagoli

🦖
Staff Team
Gonna echo the "no syscourse" sentiment. I don't want to invite the endless barrel of arguments about what is or isn't true DID knowing that it makes many people uncomfortable. Syscourse is a bottomless enough pit that, if anything, can go in a different topic, on the condition that it stays civil. Never mind, don't do that, LMAO

Personally, I can't make heads or tails of the topic, even as a bio student myself, and the thought of making the "wrong" decision makes me anxious to even participate in the discussion. I don't want to be a crappy ally to my fellow disabled people, but the information overload just makes my brain shut down and want to crawl into a hole and decompose.

wolftacos

I hope that being open with threads like this exposes more people to the idea that mental illnesses, while annoying, aren't scary monster demons lurking in the dark or in shitty horror movies.

It was a mistaken diagnosis, but I was once given the diagnosis of schizophrenia and the few times I mentioned it, the reactions were like I suddenly pulled out a blood-covered machete and was about to sprint towards them. (Later on they pulled it and reclassified me as autistic which is... apparently a thing that happens a lot?!!). And forget trying to explain hallucinations to to the general public, especially in an ultra-religious area. Now you're either dangerously crazy, or quite literally possessed by demons.

Based on one of the questions above, I wanted to put myself out there to say I'm not an expert on any of the things I have, but if anyone has any questions on what it feels like, I'm always open to talking about it.

OCD, ADHD, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and autism are the major things. I have other learning disorders but I feel like they are more annoying than they are "hitting me in the face constantly".

Weirdly still don't know where my hallucinations come from in terms of those. Might not ever know. They overlap so much, lol.

NAMCOnade

Even worse, ableist leftists often play armchair psychologist to political opponents. Which is very not okay, because I don't think it's fair to compare people suffering from mental illnesses to toxic people. And also, what if the toxic person really is mentally ill and is in need of specialized care? What good would pathologizing it do?
Oh my GOD yes i absolutely despise that. People trying to armchair diagnose politicians as “psychopaths” or “with no empathy” or whatever... like what good will this achieve? This only reinforces harmful stereotypes and is based on half knowledges at best. 

And re: empathy privilege, i feel this a lot. People speaking of those who lacks empathy as if theyre monsters and “less than humans” or “people who dont feel” in my face is always smth i take offense in. I flunctuate between extreme empathy and extreme apathy a lot. It doesn’t make me any less human. Whenever people do those claims in my face, I remind them that i lack empathy often and it doesnt make me a monster. No one has dared to tell me “yeah but you’re not like them” yet, but if someone does... geez they wont have a good time

speaking of which, anyone else rly hates when ppl demonizes disabilities (especially mental disorders or mental illnesses) in front of you, someone who had a disorder/illness, and they tell you that you’re “not like them”? I absolutely despise this “you’re not like them you’re one of the good ones” mentality.

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
Oh my GOD yes i absolutely despise that. People trying to armchair diagnose politicians as “psychopaths” or “with no empathy” or whatever... like what good will this achieve? This only reinforces harmful stereotypes and is based on half knowledges at best. 

And re: empathy privilege, i feel this a lot. People speaking of those who lacks empathy as if theyre monsters and “less than humans” or “people who dont feel” in my face is always smth i take offense in. I flunctuate between extreme empathy and extreme apathy a lot. It doesn’t make me any less human. Whenever people do those claims in my face, I remind them that i lack empathy often and it doesnt make me a monster. No one has dared to tell me “yeah but you’re not like them” yet, but if someone does... geez they wont have a good time

speaking of which, anyone else rly hates when ppl demonizes disabilities (especially mental disorders or mental illnesses) in front of you, someone who had a disorder/illness, and they tell you that you’re “not like them”? I absolutely despise this “you’re not like them you’re one of the good ones” mentality.
Yeah, I find that behaviour especially odious because that was exactly how I got gaslit and indoctrinated into the cult of Gamergate and AltFurry in the first place when I was at a vulnerable state just starting my transition 5 years ago. And it is insidious because it is triangulation, it's how narcissistic parents control their children, by triangulating the scapegoats against the golden child. In my case, I was their "golden trans", "one of the good/reasonable ones" because I "don't get triggered by everything." The reality was, I was naive, didn't understand a lot of the harmful things a lot of people inflict on trans and autistic people, and I wanted to be strong, while thinking that not being upset at "spicy takes" is a sign of strength.

deporitaz

I don't want to encourage people to have uh negative and aggressive discussions on the subject as many people here asked this to not happen in this thread, BUT I would like to say that this link was super educational and informative! A very interesting dive on the history of DID online, and I love internet history. Thank you for sharing this!

On another subject though, I'd like to bring up accessibility in furry communities! A lot of websites are not very friendly for people with visual impairments and reading disabilities, I appreciate that FLO lets you add alt text on images but it's only those added to text it seems, I don't have the option to do that in my albums :c 

Have any of you ever been to a furry event that had braille in it's posters and flyers? Or any accessibility alternatives like that? Personally I haven't but I've only been to 1 big event in my country and two other smaller ones (which I don't think justifies it but maybe I just haven't been to the right places?)

wolftacos

I've only been to one furry convention, in addition to that I have been to several anime conventions as well. I never thought of accommodations for disabilities are these locations because my mind never brings that up and just thinks I have to accept it  "as is".

In terms of visual or audio assistance,  I do not recall anything like braille, or speakers giving directions verbally. There was also only the very basic features in terms of transportation (elevators were in these buildings) but artist alley/dealers den in all of these locations were fairly packed. The booths themselves were set apart but the congestion was absolutely terrible. I can't imagine trying to navigate them in a wheelchair or with crutches.

I have severe anxiety and one the problems I had in every single convention was the congestion of the artists alley and dealers den. People pushing up against me, boxing me in, there being only one entry that also served as an exit so I was "trapped" if I couldn't turn around, or if too many people were entering at once (is this also a fire hazard??). And it was loud as heck, which is also something that's hard to deal with.

I get people are loud and crowd together, but it'd be nice to see something like a "sensory friendly/accessibility friendly" time for stuff like this. Like an hour in the earliest or latest time where people with different needs like this can trickle in and not be bombarded with sensory overload or the inability to get from place to place.

Extra gripe about my last convention's dealer's den: you had to go down a set of about 6 steps to get into the dealers den. IIRC there was no ramp for this. If there was, it was shuttered off to the side somewhere that I didn't notice. I can walk but I also trip a lot, so I usually take ramps, but there are people who can't take stairs in the first place.

EDIT: I just now remembered that in the last con, there was a period for the dealer's den to be open to only a few people at a time. They had a little bit to go to each table without a crowd. However, you had to buy a top level badge for this privilege...

• Love
Reactions: Fixerwolfy
Status
Not open for further replies.