The Justice in Policing Act of 2020

M1L35 M4R54L15

Any improvement the system is welcome, but there needs to more done systematically. A lot of this also hinges on Warnock winning his race in Georgia.

Tamara

Let's be real, if the Dems lose in Georgia, nothing meaningful will be allwoed to happen by the Rep majority in the Senate until the next elections in 2022 for the Senate, unless I am mistaken.

M1L35 M4R54L15

Let's be real, if the Dems lose in Georgia, nothing meaningful will be allwoed to happen by the Rep majority in the Senate until the next elections in 2022 for the Senate, unless I am mistaken.
There are workarounds like executive orders, which Biden is committing to do, but his agenda will be somewhat stymied.

I would note that with the current crisis, Republicans are under more pressure to pass legislation favor to the people.

John Ossoff is also running in the January 5th runoffs in Georgia.

Vote!

• Love
Reactions: Arris

Tamara

There are workarounds like executive orders, which Biden is committing to do, but his agenda will be somewhat stymied.

I would note that with the current crisis, Republicans are under more pressure to pass legislation favor to the people.
As far as I understand, there are limits to what you can do with executive orders. Also, Reps seems to not really be in such a hurry to pass legislation to help the people...

TaytoSeal

There are over 600 bills piling on Mitch McConnell's desk. It's super important republicans aren't the senate majority anymore.

Shagoli

🦖
Staff Team
Some of the described actions in there feel kinda lukewarm IMO, but I'm happy that things are changing for the better at least. I'm with y'all in thinking that any step in the right direction is better than hot air and empty promises.

In particular, I wanna discuss the wording on the second-to-last bullet point:

Improve Transparency by Collecting Data on Police Misconduct and Use-of-Force

• Mandates state and local law enforcement agencies to report use of force data, disaggregated by race, sex, disability, religion, age.
I don't like how there is no explicit mention of LGBT+ individuals in the list of qualities to segregate by. Violence against LGBT+ people is absolutely worth looking into, just as much as these other categories, and its exclusion here doesn't sit right with me. Stonewall is what it is for a reason.

Additionally, I don't know how long that file will stay online at that link, so I've taken the liberty of attaching it here too.

View attachment fact_sheet_justice_in_policing_act_of_2020.pdf

• Thanks
Reactions: TaytoSeal

Kyureki

Emerald Subscriber
Some of the described actions in there feel kinda lukewarm IMO, but I'm happy that things are changing for the better at least. I'm with y'all in thinking that any step in the right direction is better than hot air and empty promises.

In particular, I wanna discuss the wording on the second-to-last bullet point:

Improve Transparency by Collecting Data on Police Misconduct and Use-of-Force

• Mandates state and local law enforcement agencies to report use of force data, disaggregated by race, sex, disability, religion, age.
I don't like how there is no explicit mention of LGBT+ individuals in the list of qualities to segregate by. Violence against LGBT+ people is absolutely worth looking into, just as much as these other categories, and its exclusion here doesn't sit right with me. Stonewall is what it is for a reason.

Additionally, I don't know how long that file will stay online at that link, so I've taken the liberty of attaching it here too.

View attachment 15202
I may be wrong, but these all sound like things that would already be attached to your records in some fashion, so they would be easy to aggregate on if they had a few basic pieces of identifying information such as name, address, birth date. Orientation is, for the most part, not collected by any governing body that I know of in an identifying way, and thus it would likely require a direct question asked to the individual for reporting purposes. This is information that many in the LGBT+ community would be uncomfortable and unwilling to disclose, even if anonymity was assured you still have to trust the department and/or the officer/official asking you the question not to tell.

Just my take on it.

Ezen Baklattan

There's such a propaganda war based in fear on "defund the police" that even Democrats are trying to distance themselves from. This bill is solid as a first step, but it's going to take local success stories before we can make waves at a federal level to cut through the fearmongering narratives. The takeaway - vote in local elections and support local organizers!