What the actual heck 2020. What the actual heck.

vickers

Honestly I feel bad for the guy... it seems like his father chose that name for him without thinking of the consequences

big yikes

Yoserfael

True. But he didn't even know what it meant until he was a teen, and most Namibians just call him Adolf H. - so at least there's that.

Though I believe that, in his heart, he's upset that the German population there might idolize him simply because he shares a name with the Big H.

Arris

Though I believe that, in his heart, he's upset that the German population there might idolize him simply because he shares a name with the Big H.
AFAIK most Germans don't gel at all with the Nazi regime, as it's illegal to do things like display Nazi symbols, and the history properly taught in the education system as a reminder of "hey, don't let the country become this again". Although, some far-right German politicians seek to diminish this, because of course they would. Sigh.

If anything, the open desire of right-wing Americans to show symbols deeply rooted in oppressions and hate, like the Confederate and Nazi flags, indicate to me that they'd be a lot more open to this unfortunate naming, "to own the libs" or something.

Yoserfael

AFAIK most Germans etc.
The German population in Namibia is at times the opposite; many of them celebrated H's 100'th birthday and some straight-up put in an ad in a paper to celebrate Elie Wiesel's death (see above article). 

However, I'm aware that Germany proper has tried very hard to make amends, and I respect them for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arris

The German population in Namibia is at times the opposite; many of them celebrated H's 100'th birthday and some straight-up put in an ad in a paper to celebrate Elie Wiesel's death (see above article). 

However, I'm aware that Germany proper has tried very hard to make amends, and I respect them for that.
Ah, my bad, I missed the "in Namibia" part of your original post <.<