What's an underappreciated species that you wish had more fursonas of?

Gonna reply to my own forum to mention more animals i wish to see more fursonas of

-vultures. They are neat scavengers  and have a certain charm to them (esp bc of the hunch lol). ALSO THE BEARDED VULTURE, AKA BIRDS THAT EAT BONES. Apparently their well known red/orange coloring actually comes from dust bathing! They are actually white/cream

-Hyenas besides the well known spotted aka the  striped hyenas, brown hyenas and aardwolves. They are very pretty and underappreciated critters

(i actually have like, multiple ocs that are at least part striped hyena lmao i just love them a lot)

Allow me to bless you with a sleeping aardwolf

I would also love to see a Manul (pallas cat) fursona because just Look At Them. They are very secretive kitties that live in mountains and have one of the longest fur length of any cat

Frankly a lot of the smaller wild cats need more love u_u

A lot of birds in general tbh. While raptorials and owls seem to be a quite common (though not as common as canines and felines), I kinda wanna see other bird species be made into sonas. Though tbh, I can see why there are less bird suits as they're probably way more difficult to make. 

Also atm, I'm considering on having a rhinoceros hornbill as a secondary sona so there's that 🤔

rhinoceros-hornbill-forest-Borneo-island.jpg

A lot of birds in general tbh. While raptorials and owls seem to be a quite common (though not as common as canines and felines), I kinda wanna see other bird species be made into sonas. Though tbh, I can see why there are less bird suits as they're probably way more difficult to make. 

Also atm, I'm considering on having a rhinoceros hornbill as a secondary sona so there's that 🤔

View attachment 15439
I LOVE THESE GUYS SO MUCH (tho maybe its because they're very important animals where I'm from hehe). And yeah bird fursuits are an uncommon sight but I always fall in love with them when I find them!!

• Love
Reactions: Fixerwolfy

KngKobun

Seals. When I first saw this pic of a baby harp seal I was like, "THAT'S A SEAL!? WHAT!? THAT'S ADORABLE!" *looks up other seal sonas* "HOLY CRAP LOOKITEM AFTER 6 YEARS IN THE FANDOM I KNOW WHAT I WANNA BE NOW!"

I'm happy to bring a list with visual accompaniment to the various reasons why you should have a Seal Sona. They are floppy fluffy potato sacks with puppy faces and I love them.

- No shame about being chonky. You're perfectly sized.

- Squishy Hugs. 🧑‍🎨 @ Kalystri.twitter

- Big jet-black eyes if you wanna be edgy. They're also natural sunglasses 😎

View attachment 15419

- We can do this:

🧑‍🎨 @ iamprikle.twitter
 View attachment 15420

- We have earholes that can close at will. 

- We boop snoots. 🧑‍🎨 Glitch-Fang.twitter

View attachment 15421

- We're nature's original dubstep artists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CRBovMIvMI

- We bend over backwards for our friends. **(Image after this is TW: Skull)**

View attachment 15422

- We're polite and fancy eaters of fibsh and some of us have really cool teeth for eating krill and shellfish!   

- We're incredibly charming! View attachment 15423

I Hope this has convinced you and that I meet your new seal sona. ♥♥♥
Seals are precious and Sealsonas are kissable!

Grinalbi

Gonna reply to my own forum to mention more animals i wish to see more fursonas of

-vultures. They are neat scavengers  and have a certain charm to them (esp bc of the hunch lol). ALSO THE BEARDED VULTURE, AKA BIRDS THAT EAT BONES. Apparently their well known red/orange coloring actually comes from dust bathing! They are actually white/cream

Lammergeiers/bearded vultures are one of my favorite bird species ngl!! They are just,,, so heccin,,,,,,,,, COOL😍

Like they look like they're straight out of some fantasy story and AAAAA

Grinalbi

Coming back to this thread to say that there's a serious dearth of characters based on sand strikers (Eunice aphroditois)... they are so scary yet so beautiful what with that combo of fearsome looking mandibles and iridescent body!! I think I've seen only one character at all based on them (aside a fan piece I did for a game) and that was a long time ago

Eunice_aphroditois.jpg

They would be great for some kaiju/monster design imo; in fact, that piece I mentioned that I did was just that lmfao

Not my fursona but since you brought them up I do have a heron OC!

Besides that honestly I'd love to see more Tasmanian devils. They're such a cool marsupial but I only know of maybe like... 2 furries with one as a fursona and that's it. Also moles weirdly enough seem super absent from the fandom despite anthropomorphic moles being pretty common outside of it? In terms of non mammals I'd love to see more seahorse/seadragon fursonas like those fish are super neat and interesting and yet are largely ignored.

helioboros

Bugs (that aren't moths), aquatic life (that isn't sharks), snails/slugs, LEECHES and lampreys and the like... Crabs / lobsters / other crustaceans have a lot of potential and are also woefully underrated. Seals + sea lions + walruses... Ooh and mustelids!

I'm mostly repeating what other people have said. My top three animal families I want to see more sonas of are beetles (the most populous animal family on earth!!), cephalopods and leeches, I reckon.

Reactions: delta LiGHTS

Manibrandr Soundworks

Emerald Subscriber
Y'know, thinking about it... I don't think I've ever seen a gastropod sona tbh? Was just binging images involving sea bunnies and leafy sheep in particular and goodness they'd make adorable sonas

View attachment 15413 View attachment 15412

Also personally I'm biased towards insects/arachnids, any kind of animals with hooves, bats, birds, etc. Honestly the weirder the animal the more I love 'em.

The one I wish I saw more of the most tho are hybrid sonas; I love em a lot!! My two main sonas, Albireo and Betelgeuse, are hybrids. Albi is a silver-haired bat + pink striped oakworm moth and Betel is a bighorn sheep + mountain goat (also a demon). I was actually planning to make a third sona... haven't decided their name but they were gonna be a hippogriff. Mix of a red-tailed black cockatoo and possibly some kind of draft horse bc I love how the bigger/bulkier horses look.
Hi, my 'sona is part Glaucus Atlanticus, and I am a hybrid of 5 different things: Squirrel, Wolf, Jackalope, Glaucus Atlanticus and Opossum. :3

- Valerie

Reactions: Grinalbi

Grinalbi

Any number of amphipods from the family Epimeriidae. I rest my case.

(Actually heavily considering using one as inspo for a possible new character and/or sona. Either macrodonta or maybe rubrieques?)

Epimeria_cyrano-E_loerzae-et-E_quasimodo-novataxa_2017-d'Udekem_d'Acoz_et_Verheye.jpg

Btw this amphipod is from a different family, but I just wanted to share since I love videos like this bc it's always so cool to see various animals in action : )

Reactions: delta LiGHTS

Lucifer

Like another I think said on this thread, I think the other kinds of hyenas besides spotted are underappreciated ! Striped hyenas are so pretty, so it'd be cool to see a lot more than i do of them!

It'd also be cool to see more herbivores in general, since a lot of fursonas tend to be carnivores! Gazelle, Bison, Llama, Alpaca, Giraffe, etc etc
There are a few species that I see quite often like a generic domesticated goat, but mostly, there are tons of herbivores that tend not to be used- at least, not from what I see!

froggeman

Coming back to this thread to say that there's a serious dearth of characters based on sand strikers (Eunice aphroditois)... they are so scary yet so beautiful what with that combo of fearsome looking mandibles and iridescent body!! I think I've seen only one character at all based on them (aside a fan piece I did for a game) and that was a long time ago

View attachment 15455

They would be great for some kaiju/monster design imo; in fact, that piece I mentioned that I did was just that lmfao
scpkid has a some bobbit worms!! they look super cool https://www.furaffinity.net/view/34104664/ https://toyhou.se/3007792.aaron

Reactions: Grinalbi